Sunday, May 12, 2019

May 12 – “A send-off instead of a farewell”


Happy Mothers’ Day to all you great Moms out there.  Especially the four closest to my heart.  That would of course be Chris and Christina and Christi and April.  Yes, those first three are different people.  Hence the careful spelling of their names.  April is the delightful addition Nathan discovered when he refused to even date a girl whose name could be construed in any way as a form resulting in “Chris.”  Love you, ladies!

I officiated at a funeral yesterday of Tim, a guy who many years ago had been active in the youth group at First Baptist Church in Galveston.  He was much younger than me – he would have been maybe five or six when I was a senior in high school there.  I met him at the youth group reunion several months ago.  He was just getting out of the hospital and was very happy to be cleared to travel so he could make the trip from his home in Beaumont. 

The service was upbeat, a factor I always prefer and work to attain when I know the deceased is a believer (Yes, that verb “is” is correct.  As a believer, he is still alive in heaven.  Part of the incredible promise we receive, you know).  I was particularly excited about the choice of songs.  After the message we were all encouraged to join none other than the Oak Ridge Boys in their rendition of … ready for this? … This Little Light of Mine.  Yep.  The same one with the “hide it under a bushel” and the “don’t let Satan blow it out” lyrics.  I joined one other sweet little old lady near me in not only singing, but also doing the hand motions (I remember her from when I was in high school at that church.  She looks just the same).  The two of us were the only ones doing it, but hey, we were in our own little world at that moment.  The other exciting song was by Andre Crouch, a 70’s icon of Christian music.  The song was Soon and Very Soon.  Lots of folks sang that one, and I’m pretty sure they wanted to stand up and get to swaying around.  I suppose cultural conventions prevented it, however.  It sure would have been fun, though…

The family had very kind things to say about why they asked me to do the service.  Seems Tim enjoyed the sermon I did at the reunion weekend.  Something about me being “able to get away with doing things that no one else would ever dare attempt.”  I wasn’t sure that was a complement at first, but Tim’s sister assured me it was.  They thanked me for helping provide a send-off instead of a farewell.  So the prevailing feeling at the end of the day was as it should be … “See ya later, Tim.”

Philippians 1:3 says, “I thank my God every time I remember you.”

Father, walk with Tim’s family as they deal with grief and decisions and life that will look quite different now.  Amen.

No comments: