Wednesday, May 1, 2019

May 1 - “Inside the Sparkly Castle”

I experienced a taste of Caleb’s math work yesterday.  He has one section at the start of every unit called mental math.  He has to look at a problem and figure out the answer in his head.  Just look at it for a while and suddenly have the answer pop into your head and out your mouth.  He’s pretty good at it, too.  Takes after his Uncle Nathan, I guess.  He was like that.  Infuriated his mother. I don’t know how many times I heard, “Show your work.”  Zak said he could do the mental stuff too, but he greatly prefers writing it down.  Me too, Zak.  I got the Roman numeral translation, thanks to the Super Bowl.  Oh, and the estimating a tip question was easy, too, thanks to our many journeys and eating out.

Meanwhile Luke was doing letter “L” stuff.  He came up with six or seven words right off the bat that started with the L sound.  Never heard him mention “Luke” though.  AnnaGrace was in a bit of a tizzy.  “I’m looking for my glass slippers,” was her lament.  She never found them, but she did accept an alternative from her stash of footwear.  It has also been fun to watch AnnaGrace connect with Chris.  I found them in the “Sparkly Castle” yesterday.  It’s some kind of sheer material, hangy-down from the ceiling in a circle kind of thing.  Very pretty.  They did invite me in as well, so I could experience the magic of the sparkle as well.

Josh was at work, and the crowd went to piano lessons in the afternoon.  I stayed behind and watched a Tom Hanks movie I had never seen.  Spies on the Bridge.  It was based on the true story of the Francis Gary Powell spy incident during the Cold War with the Soviet Union.  Fascinating account.  I liked it.

We thought Caleb’s allergic reaction would keep him off the baseball field last night.  Well, that or the predicted rainfall.  Neither happened, however.  Mom was in an approving mood, so she released him medically, and the rain never showed up.  Phew.  That was a close one.  The game was a fun one ... for Caleb’s team.  They won handily, 12-2.  Caleb is quite the free swinger.  I like that.  Shows he really wants to hit the ball when he is at the plate.  He got on base his first at bat and worked his way around to score.  Got all that one on video, too.  I told him after the game that his team must have inspired the Astros.  They ended up winning 11-0.

So we’re headed back home today.  Mission accomplished.

Hebrews 12:2 says, “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Father, thank you that we got to see both guys play this trip.  Please keep healing Caleb, and add Zak to that list as well.  Amen.

No comments: