Thursday, May 2, 2019

May 2 – “Amidst the constables …”


The Words With Friends app has been discovered.  Caleb was the one who first initiated the frenzied playing right before we left, and when Zak saw that his brother was actually having fun, he decided he had to be a part of it as well.  As it turned out, the two of them are pretty good.  They worked together to challenge Nani and held their own admirably.

The road trip back home was relatively uneventful.  We stopped to eat lunch at Cracker Barrel in College Station as is our custom.  As it happened, the place was packed with constables from all over.  I guess we could feel safe, if nothing else.  Of course that meant the line to pay our bill was quite long.  I only heard one complaint though.  It was from a lady who had called in an order and didn’t have the time to stand in line to pay.  She left without her food.  Everyone else was calmly chatting. 

There was an old guy in line in front of me who was regaling a lady with story after story.  At one point he said, “Yep.  I told one of them constables fellers, ‘Well, if’n I was to walk on my check today and get caught, I reckon I’d be eatin’ free agin tonight.’  That constable told me I better be more careful what I was sayin’ in front of these ten law officers.”

Later on down the road I saw another constable at Bucees.  O almost asked him if he had just had lunch over at the Cracker Barrel in College Station.  Didn’t though.  Afraid he might ask if I knew anything about some old guy who walked on his check …

Colossians 4:2 says, “Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.”

Father, thank you for the service of those constables.  Thanks, too for the great attitude of all the people in that line.  It was nice to be amidst something pleasant like that.  Amen.

No comments: