Saturday, December 8, 2018

December 8 – “Good, Bad … Weird”


Well, good news and bad news.  Good first.  Seasider Sam brought over a King Ranch Casserole yesterday.  She prepared it so we could freeze and eat it later.  Great idea.  I can’t wait for “later.”  I like that stuff.

Bad news … Honestly, I had a pretty terrible night.  For the first time since this knee thing began I was reaching the limits of my pain threshold.  And it wasn’t that the pain was hitting that elusive ten on the scale.  It was hovering around a five or six … OK, maybe a seven.  But it just wasn’t going away.  No amount of repositioning or controlled breathing or crossword puzzling was helping.  And all this wonderment was occurring in the wee hours of the night and early morning.  Fortunately Chris was sleeping in the other bedroom or she wouldn’t have gotten any sleep either. 

I finally made it through to time for the next pain medication, around 3 a.m., and after an hour or so I finally got some relief.  That, combined with propping my leg up on two pillows, made it possible for me to doze off until I heard Chris puttering around getting ready for Bethlehem Street Market.  She was being as quiet as she could, even kept the hair dryer on low.  Ain’t she sweet?  I finally got up just so I could be a part of the frenzy of activity.  She let me print out something for her so I wouldn’t feel totally useless.  I am really going to miss being at the Market this year.  It’s a great time to just hang around and talk to the people who come to shop.  It’s also a lot of fun to work with the volunteers from Seaside.  Go on out between 10 and 4 today and check it out … in my memory.

Oh, in the “not bad or good, just weird” category, I had another special guest star in my brain theater.  I saw one of those big old black birds that usually hang out in the back yard and bully the little birds when they come to get a drink from the bird bath.  Not so unusual, right?  Well … except that he was walking around in and out of the legs of my walker.  Inside.  On our big area rug.  Fortunately he didn’t stay long.  That would have left a mess to clean up in an already-cluttered brain.

Psalms 119:31 says, “Teach me, O Lord, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end.”

Father, thanks for Sam.  Bless her for expressing love to us through a King Ranch casserole.  And thanks for the sleep I managed to grab last night.  It was sweet.  Oh, and be with the Bethlehem Street Market today.  Draw lots of folks so the vendors can be successful and so we can do some more exciting missions stuff with the proceeds.  Amen.

No comments: