Friday, December 7, 2018

December 7 – “Magical inventions and waffle cakes and … balance”


Two more thank you’s are in order. Five-year-old Noa brought me a gift when they were here the other day.  Well, her Mommy might have had a bit to do with it.  It is a coffee cup holder that attaches to my walker.  It was made by Fisher-Price, so I’m pretty sure it was designed to be on a stroller, but hey … this is a Magical Invention.  Now I can go get a refill of my coffee or sweet tea without sneaking away from my walker and risking getting caught by the Chris police. 

And the other “thanks” goes to our good neighbors, Corey and Janell and Brennan.  Seems they were experimenting in their kitchen again, and we get to be the guinea pigs – er – I mean, beneficiaries of their projects.  Well, this one was truly a rousing success.  They made a waffle cake.  That’s right, they just poured cake batter on the waffle iron until it cooked.  The bottom layer was vanilla, the top layer was chocolate, and it had a cream filling in between.  Not to mention the yummy chocolate icing on top.  Scrumptious.  Bring over your experiments any time.

Normalcy.  I had a bit of a taste of it yesterday.  Just a bit, mind you.  Chris let me put gas in the car without my walker on the way to physical therapy.  Boy, did I ever feel special.  Not for long.  See, just as I get all prepared for physical therapy with my little student (I found out her name, by the way.  Still can’t pronounce it, but she goes by M.J.  I told her Spiderman would love it), I get switched back to the real deal therapist.  Seems it was suddenly time for me to work on balance.  All balance workout.  All balance.  Extremely difficult stuff.  I had to balance on a special machine.  Remember when that student told me she could “make it more difficult, but I won’t”?  Well her boss was not so kind.  I thought I knew just what to expect, but suddenly the floor started moving beneath my feet.  Quite the unnerving experience.  Everything I accomplished under the student on a stationary floor was now under earthquake attack.  My score back then was 98%.  Yesterday I hovered in the 79% range.  But the boss lady was pleased with it.  I was just tired.  But that wasn’t all.  Next she pulled out four or five different platforms with a round base.  I had to balance on them.  One at least was kind of fun.  I had to use my balance skills to move a ball through a maze to the center.  Had three minutes to do it five times.  The first four were easy.  Then she told me to let go of the handrails with one hand.  I barely made it with fifteen seconds to spare.  Next I hand to do the balancing on a pillow with one foot in front of the other.  Not so tough.  Until she made me close my eyes.  My whole body began shaking with the effort.  And she must have enjoyed the spectacle, because she had there other positions where I had to do the same thing.  When we finished that sequence she calmly explained to me that balance is three things: what you see with your eyes, what you feel with your feet, and some chemicals sloshing around in your head near your ears.  I think that fun fact was supposed to somehow make me feel better.  All I knew was, all of my gas station dreams of normalcy were pretty much dashed.  Shaking my head, I made my way over to the stationary bike to drown my weariness in a “cool-down” bike ride.  At least there I could set a goal and go for it.  I made it a mile and a half in ten minutes.  Woo-hoo. 

I should really try to learn something from that balance workout.  I know there’s a sermon in there somewhere.  Balance is a good thing.  Balance is really hard to achieve.  Balance takes a lot of hard work.  Balance requires three totally separate parts of the body to work together seamlessly.

Psalms 119:30-32 says, “I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.  I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord; do not let me be put to shame.  I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.”

Father, thank you for the special treat from the Geran’s and the gift from Noa.  Those little things really make my Hallmark-movie-overload day.  Amen.

No comments: