Thursday, December 27, 2018

December 27 – “Santa dances and family lunches”


We had a pretty simple day yesterday.  Started it out in true Galveston fashion.  We went to WalMart to check out the after-Christmas clearance racks.  Watch out before you say anything about daring to dive into the wacky world of WalMart, post-Christmas edition.  We ended up seeing four or five familiar faces doing the same thing.  We did find a few things, most notable of which are the new rope lights we bought to line the deck.  The ones we have up there are many years old and a lot of them are out. Causing serious gaps in the light effect.  I’ll get to replacing all of those next year sometime.  No rush.  Ah, but my favorite purchase?  My new Santa slippers.  He’s got a fluffy beard and he is doing one of those new dances.  Not the toothbrush one, though.  It’s the one where he has one arm pointed to the side and the other bent across his face.  Don’t know that I’ve ever heard a name for that one.  Or if it’s even a dance.  Maybe it’s just a pose or something.  Either way, how cool is it that Santa is doing it … on my feet?

We drove way up into Texas yesterday, too.  We had a Christmas lunch with my two brothers and their wives as well as my niece and nephew.  We ate at a little restaurant somewhere up there called Jax Grill.  One of those we were blessed to have Google Siri assistance in locating.  The food was pretty good, though.  I had a chicken fried steak.  Found out too late that they even offer tater tots.  That right there is enough to go back should we ever find ourselves lost in whatever part of Houston we were in.  We did some catching up and gift exchanging over the table.  I got a gift card and an Astros kuzi (or however you spell that word).  It’s one of those things you wrap around your drink so your fingers don’t get too cold.  I also received a new book about Babe Ruth (sensing a baseball leaning here?) and some fascinating old hymn books and other antique artifacts.  Can’t wait to go through them all at a leisurely pace.  Oh, and one of my brothers gave me a bandana mask that makes me look like one of the walking dead.  My nephew chimed in, “That’s a perfect Uncle Kelley gift.”  Thanks for the sentiment, Tim.  They all were pretty certain I could come up with some way to work it into a sermon.  Hmm.  Certainly something to think about …

Psalms 119:137-138 says, “Righteous are you, O Lord, and your laws are right.  The statutes you have laid down are righteous; they are fully trustworthy.”

Father, thank you for family.  Pretty amazing invention you came up with there.  Amen. 

No comments: