Sunday, December 23, 2018

December 23 – “Latin carols and a sugar rush”


We did a FaceTime with Josh yesterday.  His family was up to their elbows in making gingerbread houses.  AnnaGrace bypassed all the building part and went straight to eating.  She left the building to her Daddy.  Luke was intense in his sculpture, however.  We watched as he was carefully adding what he explained were reindeer on the roof of his house.  Zak was squeezing the last of the “snow” (white icing) … into his mouth.  Caleb was already getting a head start on the sugar rush. 

As a result, the call was nothing less than wild and crazy.  All that sugar exploded into quite animated tales of Christmas coming and great school accomplishments and Christmas coming and performances in church events and Christmas coming.  We heard Caleb play the piano and then sing Christmas carols … in Latin.  I guess he was playing the piano in Latin, too, but it sure sounded like Jingle Bells.  Oh, and there was something about Zak and girls.  Lots of girls.  A veritable fan club. 

I went one full day and night without any pain meds.  It made for a really rough few hours in bed.  Now I’m working on finding the right balance.  Last night’s experience was just strange.  Just as I was dozing off, it felt like a tiny little alien with a laser gun was randomly shooting inside my knee.  The jolt woke me up and continued until I finally gave in and took some medicine.  After about an hour the pain part settled down.  Without that intensity in my knee, I began to notice that the little alien guy was actually driving around my nervous system in his little internal rocket ship and firing off at irregular intervals in different spots all over my body.  It was like electrical impulses causing miniature muscle cramps that lasted but a few seconds before he floated away to some other realm.  The knowledge that he was no longer targeting just my bionic knee was strangely comforting, and I managed to fall asleep for a few hours.  That was nice.  So now on to teach my first sermon in three weeks.  Hmm.  Wish I could remember those Latin carols …

Psalms 119:116 says, “Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.”

Father, thank you for gingerbread houses and sugar rushes and wild and crazy FaceTime calls with grandkids.  Amen.

No comments: