Thursday, December 13, 2018

December 13 – “Field Trip”


After that bad night with neuropathy I needed something to distract me yesterday.  We found that right away.  Well, after Chris remembered …

Cailyn and her elementary school choir were singing their Christmas concert at a few of the downtown banks.  That meant a field trip – a trip into the outside world for Mr. Confined to the House for Two Weeks.  I was in. 

We made our way to the first one and found a parking space in their lot.  At least we hoped it was a valid spot.  Hard to tell with all the tow-away zones.  Once inside I was treated like royalty because of my walker.  Well, the fact that I was wearing shorts and you could see my cool scar may have had something to do with it as well.  They ushered me into a really comfortable chair where I could see the kids’ faces.  Chris teamed up with April on the other side of the room where Cailyn was actually standing so they could get some pictures and videos.  Of course the kids did a great job.  I was especially impressed with the rock around the tree song where they each danced their version of the twist and a few other unknown 60’s dances.  Then there was the Hawaiian Christmas song where they were supposed to do the hula.  It didn’t take long for that one to morph into that new toothpaste or toothbrush or whatever that new dance is called.  (OK.  I’m back.  I asked.  The dance craze is called flossing.  Hey, at least I was near the correct body part). 

The next bank was a few blocks away.  The kids walked, but that was too far for the old man and his walker, so we packed up and looked for a parking place.  We finally found one, but then we had to call in and register the new car so we could be properly billed for the $1.75 we owed for the spot.  By the time we made our way inside and up the elevator, they were already into the first song.  I had to do some reminiscing about that particular building.  It used to house my doctor’s office from when I was a little kid.  Dr. Caravagelli – Dr. Carve as we all called him.  The nickname doesn’t sound nearly as cool to an adult as it did to us as kids.  Not sure I want a family medicine guy named “Carve” checking me out.  A surgeon … maybe.  They have done some renovations since I was there last.  The elevators used to have those cage doors.  Oh, and they used to have a guy in there who did the operating for you.  No more cages and certainly no more human being operators.  Sad.  Back to the kiddos.  They were once again fabulous.  They even had me trying to dance along.  Chris leaned over and told me to be still.  She didn’t want to pick me up off the floor.  I reassured her with a nod toward April and said, “Hey, I have the two best nurses in the world on either side of me.  I’ll be in good hands.” 

After the concerts we stopped at Shrimp and Stuff for some lunch.  Good stuff.  It’s been a while since we have been out to eat anywhere other than Whataburger (not that I complain about Whataburger, mind you).  And while we waited for our order, Doug from Seaside came over and chatted with us.  You gotta watch out for these Seasiders.  They show up everywhere. 

By the time we made it home I was beat.  I still managed to spend a little time working on the Christmas party plans for Friday.  Should finish those up today so Chris can make a trip to the store for the supplies.  I guess I’m getting a little excited about seeing more actual people around here. 

Psalms 119:55 says, “In the night I remember your name, O Lord, and I will keep your law.”

Father, thank you for the joy those kids reflected when they sang the Christmas songs.  It certainly helped lift my spirits.  Amen.

No comments: