Tuesday, December 4, 2018

December 4 – “A soccer-ish shock”


While Nathan and John took care of trimming our trees the other day, inside the house Cailyn sat with me as I did my exercises.  Cheered me on is more like it.  She counted with me.  She encouraged me.  After one particularly difficult leg lift, she said, “I can’t even do that one right now, DadDad.”  Aww.  So sweet, right?  Then she continued, “But then, you can’t do 25 jumping jacks, can you?”  Nope.  Got me there.  Ouch. 

We kept Ezra for a few hours while Christina and the rest of the family went to a Christmas tea at their church. He inspected my walker very carefully when he arrived.  When he got down to the wheels he smiled, backed off a little and said, “DadDad’s vroom, vroom.”  That’s my boy.

I stayed at home Sunday by myself.  Kind of like a student pilot flying solo for the first time.  Chris set everything up for me so I wouldn’t have to do much walking around or carrying.  Even had the peanut butter and jelly set out for my lunch.  It was very strange to be home alone on a Sunday, though.  And then Chris stayed at church to help with hanging of the greens, so it was an extended flight.  I know there was a football game on at some time in there, but honestly, I spent a lot of time sleeping.  I did get my exercises in twice, though.  Of course that in itself wears me out enough to need a nap each time.  And I hadn’t had a good night sleeping the night before.  Lots of pain around midnight and again around 4 a.m. 

Latest drug-induced vision: I saw a round soccerball-looking object rolling toward me, so I got all prepared to kick it.  But as it got close to me, I realized that it was actually a really fat cat just rolling by.  And in deference to those who would have actually enjoyed meeting such a creature, no, I did not go ahead and kick it.  Guess the Round Cat Shock was more than I could handle.

I had my quarterly hearing aid checkup appointment yesterday.  We drove all the way over there.  I was even sitting in the chair for the exam.  That’s when I realized something.  No, I had my pants on.  This wasn’t one of those dreams.  I realized that I didn’t have … my hearing aids.  Totally forgot to stick them in my ears.  Not much they can do with nothing to work with.  Chris went home and picked them up for me, though.  To her credit she wasn’t totally merciless in making fun of me.  It was pretty funny, though.  Sure made me laugh every time I thought about it for the rest of the day.  While Chris was gone I took care of the money stuff.  Had to spring for $400 to renew the manufacturer’s warranty (already used it once, so I didn’t want to lose that “benefit”).  We’ll have to come up with another $300 by March to keep the regular service contract in effect as well. 

Psalms 119:2 says, “Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart.”

Father, thank you for memories of jumping jacks and vroom-vroom’s and even forgotten hearing aids.  Amen.

No comments: