Friday, November 30, 2018

November 30 - “Surgery Chronicles: Day Two … Tooty-Horned Walker Day”


Our night spent in the hospital was … a night spent in the hospital.  Not much sleep.  Vital signs every so often (One time I asked if she wanted to take the other signs as well.  She asked, “What other signs?”  I told her, “The not-so vital ones.  They are feeling a little under-appreciated.”  She didn’t have an answer, and sadly, didn’t take any non-vital signs, but she did laugh). 

But the morning was oh-so worth it.  As the Bible says, “Joy comes in the morning.”  Since I wasn’t getting much sleep anyway I rolled over and took a glance out of the window.  Wow.  My room had a gorgeous view of the Gulf of Mexico, and the sun was rising over the water.  Absolutely gorgeous.  Chris was sleeping on a couch under that window, so I had a view of two beautiful things at once.  She has a knack of knowing when I am awake, though, so she roused and asked me what was wrong.  I responded, “Turn around.”  She, too, could only say, “Wow.”  Since my bed was across the room, she took several pictures so I could see the whole effect.  If you have to be in the hospital, let me recommend a room for you … Jennie Sealy 1107. 

A new physical therapist was assigned to me that new day.  Jessica taught me how to use a walker. She helped me remember what to do when faced with steps: 
“Good people go to heaven. Bad people go to … the other place. Good leg goes up first. Downstairs? Bad leg leads the way.”  I think I can remember that. 

Later in the day I finally got my very own walker delivered, and Jessica put it together. I installed the horn. Yep. Got me a tooty-horned walker now. Watch out. We’re busting out of this place. 4:15 island time. The transportation guy who wheeled me out to the car really liked my horn. He insisted I toot it at people on the way out, over Chris’ protests. But hey … a hospital staffer told me to do it. We toot-greeted the nurses’ desk and the two ladies who rode the elevator down with us. They are all of the opinion that horns should be installed on all hospital-issued walkers.  Chris seemed to disagree. 

First night at home we had a few visitors. The Holt’s and the Geran’s came by. I slept on the couch so Chris could get some sleep. Not sure how that worked out. I had to roll into the bathroom around midnight. IV fluids are still flushing out my system I guess. Then at 2:30 I made my way back again. But this time I had a different purpose. It was time for a pain pill. I think I could have roughed it out but then I would have had to face the wrath of the Chris for waiting too long. She was quite gracious about the whole thing. 

In fact I tooted my appreciation as she headed back to bed. I love that walker horn. Chris is still not a fan.  I did manage to doze off a time or two before realizing around 4:30 that I was seeing some interesting things every time I closed my eyes. Sometimes it was people in scary makeup. Once it was a dog. Random. Once a lady’s face transformed into a mountain. I’m pretty sure I saw Jesus in there, too. At least my personal favorite of the artists’ renditions out there. Probably a pain drug reaction. Lots more fun than nausea, though.

Psalms 118:27 says, “The Lord is God, and he has made his light shine upon us.”

Father, thank you for the meds that get me through the pain, but thank you more for … my tooty-horned walker.  Amen.

1 comment:

fancynancykay said...

What kind of pain meds are you on??? Your dreams/visions sound like my one experience with Tramadol, lol!

Praying for you, bro!