Tuesday, November 27, 2018

November 27 – “Surgery Chronicles:Day One”


I got a call from my surgeon’s resident after church on Sunday.  Seems my surgery was bumped in favor of an emergency broken hip.  The good news was, we didn’t have to wake up until 5 a.m. instead of 3 a.m. Chris didn’t believe me when I told her. And when I woke up around 4, I felt like I had had an actual good night’s sleep.

As I was lounging at my desk at 5:24, enjoying the brief respite before the coming storm,  my phone rang.  It was the surgery at the hospital … wondering where I was.  Seems no one told them about the time change. “Come on right now,” they scolded me.  Nicely, though.  Trying to be helpful, I rushed to the bathroom where Chris was just getting out of the shower.  I told her the good news.  She didn’t seem at all elated at this development in our hospital adventure. And I haven’t seen her move that fast in a long time. We were at the hospital by 6:00.  Not bad.

Visitor list:
Chris, of course.
Kel got there just in time to walk with us to the OR.
Lauren and Violet were the first ones there.  Great prayer.
Sam arrived shortly thereafter.  Another great prayer.
My cousin Jer drove all the way in from Florida.
After the surgery Kel returned with his whole family.
Nathan and April and Cailyn came.  Cailyn made me a beautiful card encouraging me to get home before Christmas.   And then came the second work of art.  Simple. Poignant.  It was a rendition of my knee with the inscription, “Red Hot Knee.” And she even included a box of red hots. That’s my girl.
Cathy made it by as well.  I understand it was her second attempt.  She missed us the first time.
Chris and I both were inundated with texts and emails and FaceBook good wishes and prayers.

I’m going to take a break here. Kind of worn out.  I’ll continue the drama when I get home.

Jeremiah 33:3 says, “Call to me and I will answer you and show you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

Father, thank you for the encouragement of friends and family.   It made all the difference in the world to both of us. Amen.

No comments: