Saturday, November 3, 2018

November 3 – “Boot Camp?”


Since I passed on the walk yesterday morning, I had to get out of the house for a while, so we went to Randall’s to order some medicine and to pick up some fruit and eggs and fritos (Hey, Chris said she was going to make chicken enchilada pie … whatever it takes).  While we were walking around in the produce section, I got an unusual phone call.  It was a very nice lady on the other end, who started out by saying she was from the UTMB physical therapy department, and my doctor had signed me up to attend boot camp.  This was my call to let me know when and where.  “And there is one next week but it’s off the Island and I didn’t figure you would want to drive all the way up there since you live on the Island so I signed you up for the one the following Tuesday.”  How’s that for a lead-in?  I liked this woman right away.  Hey, anybody who understands the whole “driving into Texas” mentality can’t be all bad.  But I had no idea what she was talking about, so that stopped me dead in my tracks.  I asked her to hold up a sec and back the train back up to “boot camp.”  Seems that boot camp consists of an hour and a half session with a nurse and physical therapist and whoever else they decide needs to be there.  They go over in detail everything to expect before, during, and after surgery.  As it turns out, I think that’s a great idea.  Looking forward to it.

Next we went over to the Methodist church right around the corner from Randall’s so Chris could vote.  I managed to vote Saturday at Seaside, and that came in handy.  As we approached the building, one of those rabid political supporters hustled over toward us, crying out, “Are you going to vote?”  It was nice to be able to honestly say, “I’ve already voted.”  He never asked Chris.  And she never volunteered any information one way or the other. 

After she voted we ran into Alice, the director of the Libbie’s Place Adult Day Care Center.  She reminded us that it has been 17 years since we were standing at her window chanting, “Open, open, open,” for Dad to have a place to go.  The Mom ended up spending time there as well.  Chris even told Alice that she was already thinking about sending me.  Ouch.  Fond, yet bittersweet memories.

Psalms 111:2 says, “Great are the works of the Lord; they are pondered by all who delight in them.”

Father, thank you for Alice and the work she does at Libbie’s Place.  Bless their efforts.  Amen.

No comments: