Thursday, November 29, 2018

November 29 – “Surgery Chronicles: Day One C … Gown-Gaping Extravaganza”


The pick-up-the-food-tray girl was another of my "laughter /at least a smile" projects. She came in to pick up my food tray, but I didn’t have one. Kel let her know that we were, in fact, hungry and waiting for a food tray.  A look of near-panic came over her face.  She apologized profusely, and explained that she didn't have anything to do with anything except picking up trays.  

Sensing her distress, I smiled and asked her name (I asked everybody who came into the room what their name was.  Some of them were so appreciative of being acknowledged that they wrote their name on my little room blackboard.  The housekeeping lady even left her card.  That’s because I thought she said Rosanna instead of Susanna.  When I finally got it right she came over and fist-bumped with me).  So back to the tray lady.  She stayed and within minutes unloaded burden after burden from her personal life, even shedding a few tears. We ended up praying together. Guess what they say about pastors is true ... always on call. 

On the lighter side (light-headed, that is), I did take a walk the day of surgery. A real Gown-Gaping Extravaganza. Headed right out of the room and made a break for the Gulf (big ol picture windows here with a gulf view). The Physical Therapy guy jokingly reminded me to save some energy for the return trip. Well, I made it as far as the door of the room next door. So close. But suddenly my head started spinning and I got very nauseated. A nearby staffer whipped a desk chair behind me and eased me down. After waiting for my stomach to settle a bit they wheeled me back to bed in the desk chair. Meds for nausea added to the list. Another bout came later on when I was trying to learn how to do a blog post using the iPad. Guess the brain usage intensity involved in such a momentous document was more than I could handle. I think the docs decided I was reacting to the anesthesia from surgery combined with the pain meds. 

Psalms 118:25-26 says, “O Lord, save us; O Lord, grant us success.  Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.  From the house of the Lord we bless you.”

Father, please be with the food tray girl.  Touch her heart, protect her, and direct her path.  Amen.

No comments: