Tuesday, November 20, 2018

November 20 – “Plenty of stuff”


Countdown to Patient Perspective Ponderings … six days.

I am on a roll of sorts.  Actually it’s just that I’m trying to get as much as possible finished on my pre surgery to do list before the family and friends begin arriving for the Thanksgiving festivities.  And by festivities I mean things like, for instance, today we have to fry ten or twelve turkeys and Chris and a few of her granddaughters are going to bake some pies and cookies. 

It also meant that yesterday we had to make our annual meg-shopping spree trip to … where else? … WalMart to get all the food stuffs that are required to make a Chris-based Thanksgiving feast come to life.   There were a lot of things in that basket that I recognized; not, however, that I would necessarily eat all of them.  Corn.  Potatoes.  Oranges.  Bananas.  Yams.  Pie filling stuff.  That red stuff that my Mom liked.  What was that stuff called?  Oh, yeah.  Cranberry sauce.   Dr Pepper.  Sugar.  Gotta have sugar for sweet tea, right?  Snack refills.  Won’t take long for those to be depleted once the grandkids start arriving.  And there was plenty of other stuff in there that I’m sure will miraculously rematerialize as something tasty come Thursday around noon. 

So now it’s time to drag out the fry-cookers and pour the peanut oil and heft the turkeys for a day of frying.  Twelve turkeys.  Two fryers.  An hour for the grease to get hot.  About an hour for each turkey to cook.  Transfer time.  We’re looking at a good eight hour day.  Here we go …

Psalms 116:8-9 says, “For you, O Lord, have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before the Lord in the land of the living.”

Father, please keep us safe from the hot grease and flames.  And help the girls have a lot of fun in the kitchen, cooking with Nana.  Amen.

No comments: