Monday, October 8, 2018

October 8 – “Reunion culmination”


Yesterday was the culmination of the youth group reunion for many who have been at some point a member of the youth group at First Baptist Church of Galveston.  Actually I think the years finally settled into the 70’s.  so I guess it shouldn’t have been that much of a surprise when the singing part of the service included such Jesus Freak/early 70’s church music greatest hits as: Pass It On, Put Your Hand in the Hand, Praise Him When the Sun Goes Down, All Night All Day, and that absolute classic I’ve Got Peace Like a River.  They did mix in some current choruses as well, but the rows and rows of reunion attendees seemed to really be getting into those antiques.  Imagine that.

I do have to proclaim from the mountaintops for those who were not there … yes, I wore a suit.  And yes, it did fit (OK, so it’s been a while).  I really wasn’t used to how hot it actually gets inside there.  Everyone was really kind in their comments about the teaching, though.  Stuck to the basics – purposes of the church from Acts 2.  Then after church we did a huge group picture on the church steps.  I think I may get in trouble on that one … again.  The guy taking the pictures was doing a modified panoramic shot, so as soon as he passed me, I raced to the opposite side of the group and posed there as well.  I haven’t seen those pictures posted on line yet, so I’m still OK so far. 

Kel and his family met us at the house for some lunch.  Pizza, of course.  Kel preached for me out at Seaside, so it wasn’t a long trip for them.  Sounded like things went well out there, too.  I understand I missed an appearance by Batman.  He doesn’t come very much, so I hated to miss that one.  Gotta love Seaside.  Can’t wait to get back there next Sunday …

Psalms 104:5 says, “He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved.”

Father, thank you for all the reconnecting that was going on yesterday.  Bless those folks and their families and bring them all great joy.  Thank you for foundations of another kind.  Amen.

No comments: