Sunday, October 7, 2018

October 7 – “Being recognized”


We have made our way back to the Island.  Gotta love the smell of salt in the air when you hit the causeway.  Why back so soon?  Well, I agreed to a part in the program of a reunion for people who have at some time in the past been a member of one of the youth groups at First Baptist Church Galveston.  The event lasted the whole weekend, but we were just on the docket for the barbeque dinner last night.  Really good barbeque, by the way.

I made some good reconnections with some long-ago Little League friends, as well as a few others I remembered from my short tenure in the youth group back in the day.  I even got recognized by a most surprising individual – the caterer.  I approached him after the meal to let him know it was really good and I appreciated the work he and his crew put in.  He received the encouragement graciously, then responded, “Do you know how I know you?  I thought I recognized you.”  I was stumped, so he continued, “Didn’t you used to coach basketball?  A group of kids that were homeschooled?  It was several years ago now.”  Wow.  That’s a good memory.  I think he was one of the referees we had on occasion back in the day.  And “the day” would have been when Nathan was still in high school.  Now he’s … well, he’s well beyond that.  Small world.

Oh, my responsibility for the evening?  The organizers had arranged a candle lighting ceremony to remember the folks with a connection to the group who have died, both parents and youth group members.  They also mentioned Pastor Grayson Glass who was the one figure who seemed to bind each different group together.  After the lighting of the candles I led the group in prayer.  That was the first half of my job.  After I agreed to do that part, I was also asked to preach this morning in recognition of the reunion weekend.  Someone asked me last night if I had ever preached at First Baptist before.  I replied, “Once.  Back when I was eighteen.  Took me about five minutes, as I recall.  But it was on a Wednesday night.  Brother Glass would never turn me loose on a Sunday morning or Sunday night.  Too unpredictable.”  I can’t imagine why he would think that …

Psalms 104:2-4 says, “He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.  He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind.  He makes winds his messengers, flames of fire his servants.”

Father, would you fill me with your Spirit this morning?  Keep me out of the way so these folks will see and hear only you.  Amen.

No comments: