Monday, October 29, 2018

October 29 – “Sad, sad state of affairs”


I wanted to share a few more anecdotes that I gleaned from the Fall Festival on Saturday.  As I said earlier, because of the awesome work of the Seasider volunteers, I was able to spend all my time being available to talk to folks who came by. 

One family was raving about how much they enjoyed living in Jamaica Beach.  They recounted a whole list of things like events at the park and a community swimming pool and meeting people at the beach.  And right in the middle of their list was one, seemingly tiny and insignificant item.  It’s the one that sounded like an explosion to me, though.  “… and this little church is always doing things for the community.”  I guess there are worse things to be remembered for as a church.  Sure made me proud of our folks.

Another time I was talking to a sweet lady who comes to Seaside when she can.  The topic somehow turned to the (in her words) “Sad, sad state of affairs” in our country.  Here’s how that conversation went.
Her: “With all this fake news, it’s hard to know the truth anymore.”
Me (after a brief hesitation.  I couldn’t believe she had set me up like that): “Well … I know the Truth.  His name is Jesus.”
Her (with a chuckle): “That’s right.  That’s right.  But we’re sure not gonna hear THAT in the news.”
Nope.  I don’t reckon we will.

Psalms 108:2-5 says, “Awake, harp and lyre!  I will awaken the dawn.  I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.  For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.  Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and let your glory be over all the earth.”

Father thank you for the chance to listen to people and share with them in their joys and frustrations.  Amen.

No comments: