Monday, October 22, 2018

October 22 – “Exactly all right”


It is always a tremendous day at church when we end the service by walking down to the beach for a baptism.  No different yesterday as a young man named Jeff went under the water.  His girlfriend with the great name (Kelly.  Spells it a little wrong but great name, nonetheless), already a believer, joined the Seaside family as well.  And one couple, who were among those who began the original Seaside mission back in 1990, returned home to join up with the current Seaside family as well. 

The day was a blustery and kind of chilly one.  I think the temperature was in the 60’s or low 70’s.  Lots of strong winds as we gathered at the seaside, but a huge contingent of the 60-plus folks who had attended worship joined us at the beach.  After a circle of prayer Jeff and the two guys who had agreed to assist me with the baptism joined me in the water.  The water temp was not too bad yet, so we managed to make our way rather quickly to a good spot.  The rip currents were treacherous.  I was never so glad to have two strong guys with me.  With my bad knee I’m not sure I could have held myself up, much less the guy getting baptized.  All went well, though, and when he came up out of the water, Jeff threw his arms into the air in a gesture of sheer exuberance.  The man was more than excited.  The crowd on the beach cheered him as we exited the water and gathered to sing “Family of God.”

My favorite part of this particular baptism?  As we walked to the beach Jeff never stopped talking.  He asked if it was OK to be a little nervous as well as excited.  But then he said, “I have been telling everybody I know that I did this.  Is that all right?”  That, my friend, is exactly all right.” 

Psalms 106:48 says, “Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.  Let all the people say, ‘Amen!’  Praise the Lord.”

Father, thank you for Jeff and his excitement about having a relationship with you.  Walk with him now as he begins to discover the amazing wonders of your promises.  Amen.

No comments: