Thursday, October 18, 2018

October 18 – “Brennan’s Bewailment”


Just a quick note today …

I had a visitor the other night.  Chris and I were watching the Astros game when the front door flew open and I was met with cries of, “Did you see that?”  My little buddy Brennan from across the street had been watching the game as well.  Seems his Dad had patiently explained the nuances of why a run had scored on the walk and another on the hit by pitch.  But Brennan’s response was spontaneous and actually quite similar to my own when the Astros closer gave up a grand slam home run.  I guess I should describe it as his Dad did … something akin to a biblical funeral mourner’s wail.  That crisis my pal understood perfectly. 

I’m sure Brennan was asleep last night and didn’t get to see all of the next game.  He missed the bum fan interference call on what should have been a home run by Altuve.  He missed a remarkable back and forth battle.  And he missed an excruciating bottom of the ninth when the Astros loaded the bases with Bregman coming to the plate.  The excitement was intense.  The crowd at the stadium was going wild.  Bregman hit a shot of a line drive to left field that would have at least tied the game.  But the left fielder made an outstanding diving catch to end the game.  Gotta hand it to him.  So Verlander pitches tonight, then on to Boston WHEN he wins.  As I have said before, I think these games between the Red Sox and the Astros are the actual World Series this year.  It’s a shame the two best teams in baseball are in the same league. 

Psalms 106:1 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

Father, help Brennan get the sleep he needs to tune up his cheering voice rather than his wail.  Amen.

No comments: