Monday, October 15, 2018

October 15 – “Meager efforts?”


The numbers are in … and in … and in …

As I described yesterday, we did a fundraiser on Saturday, providing food concessions for the community craft fair.  Proceeds were to go to missions causes.  We had a tremendous turnout of Seasiders to help, and the turnout at the market seemed to be a good one as well.  I didn’t know what our total was, however.  I have that number now.

Let me say up front that I was hoping for around a thousand dollars.  Saturday afternoon’s count placed us at needing just $33 to reach … $1500.  Not so bad, right?

After the event we piled up the leftover cookies and baked goods on the table at church, too tired to deal with them any further.  When we came back to church the next morning, there were a few cookies gone, and $17 was on the table.  Hmm.  Just $16 away from $1500 now.  I planned to announce that during church, both to celebrate and to see if anyone would rise to the challenge to make up the difference.  But before we could get started I noticed a few folks had already added to the box.  Sure enough, we were $2 over.  $1502.

We did celebrate the victory during church, and God apparently spoke to some more folks, because after church, somehow the total came to $1550.  Pretty amazing.

A few of us went to lunch together, and after lunch Cathy approached me in the parking lot with some more news.  $315 more dollars had come in.  And before we got home the figure had risen to $2000.  Umm … God thing?  I would say so.

Philippians 4:19 says, “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”

Father, thank you for honoring our meager efforts to glorify you through missions.  Amen.

No comments: