Thursday, October 11, 2018

October 11 – “The most important Team Member”


We managed to get in our three mile walk yesterday.  In the process we stopped to help a neighbor lady we hadn’t met yet pick up some trash in her yard and put it in her can.  She said we saved her “who knows how much time and energy” with our help.  Hey.  We were just being neighborly.

And speaking of neighborly, and apartment fire call came in for right around the corner from us.  A Seaside family lives in the complex, so I pulled on my fire department uniform and headed on over.  (And let me say up front, I connected with them on site.  They live in a different building, so all was well with them).  Nathan called me before I left to see if I had heard any more on my radio.  He was off-duty at the time, so since he was nearby he just couldn’t stay away.

I arrived at the same time as the fire chief.  As we walked up together he said something along the lines of, “I’m here to watch these guys do their usual great job.”  His statement was quite prophetic.  All stations and crews were on alert.  Many of them were on site and staged for the fire.  Others were on standby to either come help or to cover the rest of the Island’s calls.  I’m pretty sure Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department was on alert as well to help cover the Island. 

Heavy smoke and flames were showing as the trucks arrived.  But it didn’t take crews long to make sure evacuation was handled in a timely manner and get to the business of putting out the fire itself.  As usual the teamwork was phenomenal.  Police were on hand to deal with the crowd and with traffic control.  Utility company reps arrived and command directed them accordingly.  Chiefs were available on site.  I have noticed that one of their thankless jobs is to deal with the press as well as other onlookers.  I also heard some on site teaching going on as well, with such questions as, “Would there have been a different way to handle this?” or “What could we have done here to make for a better or smoother outcome?”  Paramedic crews stood by with cool, wet towels for the guys coming out of the fire to drape over their heads.  Fire marshalls were ready when the all-clear was given to move in to make their inspections and prepare reports.  All were working together to achieve the common desired outcome. 

One onlooker made the comment to me, “I’m sure glad water is stronger than fire.”  Let me add to that one.  I’m sure glad the guys behind the water know what they are doing.  Nicely done, Team.  

Psalms 104:31 says, “May the glory of the Lord endure forever; may the Lord rejoice in his works.”

Father, thank you for protecting the Seasiders, the renters of the apartment on fire, as well as the fire fighters.  You are always the most important Team Member.  Amen.

No comments: