Saturday, October 27, 2018

October 27 – “The big day now looms frighteningly ahead …”


The big day now looms frighteningly ahead. 

Yep.  I had my orthopedic doctor appointment yesterday.  No further options for this old guy.  Full knee replacement surgery is scheduled for November 26th at UTMB.  That would be the Monday after Thanksgiving.  The resident originally suggested the Monday before that, but Chris almost jumped from her chair to say, “No way.  That’s the week of Thanksgiving and you have ten turkeys to fry and we have company coming in and AnnaGrace’s birthday party is that Friday.”  She never even got around to mentioning the Turkey Bowl.  The poor resident got the message.  “Uh … how about the following Monday?”  And Chris’ demeanor rapidly returned to her usual sweet and wonderful self.  She turned to me and said, “It’s your knee and your decision, but I vote for the second one.”  See how she did that?  My decision.  I love that woman. 

My ortho doc soon entered the room and absolutely agreed that a new knee was the way to go for me.  She made sure the resident had adequately explained the procedure (He did a really good job) and sat down to see if we had any questions.  She ordered some pre-surgery labs done and a new set of X-rays before we left.  And her final words were, “Next time I see you will be in the operating room.”  Ominous sounding, huh?

So now I have to admit I am vacillating somewhere between excitement and a little apprehension.  The prospect of less pain when I walk is certainly enticing.  I know recovery will be a battle, but I’m pretty sure I’m up for that challenge.  The one thing I’m hoping for after all this?  I kind of want to set off the metal detectors at the airport.  Sounds kind of fun to me …

Psalms 107:31-32 says, “Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men.  Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people and praise him in the council of the elders.”

Father, thank you for the kindness and patience of my doc and the resident.  Oh, and that med student.  Be with her through her final year of school and into residency.  Amen.

No comments: