Wednesday, October 31, 2018

October 31 – “Call back in the morning”


Yesterday held yet another dive into the dangerous.  We once again entered the realm of potential pain and agony.  We … did yard work.  That’s right.  Amidst mosquitoes (We live on a tropical island paradise.  We always have mosquitoes) and still –growing grass (Again – tropical weather.  Long growing season.  Lots of rain this rainy season) we broke out the lawn mower and weedeater and leaf blower.  Well, I broke out those.  Chris got the wild-growing vine clippers and the broom.  She attacked the wisteria and bougainvillea.  I did the mowing and edging and a little clippings blowing.  Then the GFCI switch started doing the blowing.  I had to walk back and forth from the reset switch four times before it held so I could finish.   To finish things off, we both returned to that evil bougainvillea.  I had to stretch as high as I could get to snip off some of the offending branches, and I came away scratched and bleeding, but we finished that project to Chris’s approval.  Even did some pruning of the “MeeMaw Tree” and the bush beneath it. 

So.  Now the yard looks nice for the Halloween event coming up tonight.  I for one didn’t sleep all that well last night.  The old knee was pretty cranky after the long morning in the yard, and my back aches even made a reappearance, but a few Tylenol came to my aid, and I managed to get some rest.  Chris woke up this morning with a stuffy head, but she seemed raring to go.  She is babysitting in LaMarque while Jachin does an allergy challenge to see if he can overcome his nut allergy.  I don’t get all the details on that one.  We’ll see how it comes out. 

As for me, I’ll be working on the sermon and taking a little time out to make one particular phone call.  We got our Discover bill from our vacation and discovered that we were double charged for a room by one of the hotels we stayed at.  I talked to the credit card company.  They said I had to talk to the hotel first.  Then if they don’t issue a refund, I call them back and they will take it from there.  So I called the hotel.  The guy answered quickly enough, but when I identified what I needed he said he was “with a customer” and said I would “have to call back in the morning.”  This particular hotel was the one place we stayed that we were glad to get out of.  It was the one where the AC didn’t work and instead of immediately switching our room, he came and took the unit apart to make sure we weren’t lying to him.  If he doesn’t refund the double charge I plan to notify the parent company.  And the credit card company, of course.  Here we go …

Psalms 109:26-27 says, “Help me, O Lord my God; save me in accordance with your love.  Let them know that it is your hand, that you, O Lord, have done it.”

Father, help me to represent you in the phone call.  We can’t afford to just let that great of a charge go.  A little divine assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Amen.

No comments: