Saturday, October 6, 2018

October 6 – “One-on-one”


The Waco arrival didn’t happen until a little after 10 p.m., so all the kids were already asleep.  It did give us a chance to chat for a while with Josh and Christi.  Kind of debriefed some highlights of that final harrowing short cut we had just been on.   I think we were all ready to get some sleep, though. 

The next day we remembered that we had purchased a gift for Christi’s birthday in that Ozarkland shop we were in (the one with the big metal chickens for sale).  But we didn’t have a bag to put it in, so we made a quick Target run (That’s kind of like a WalMart run in Galveston.  Target is about a mile from their house).  Right away, Chris found a bag and some of that frufie paper that sticks up out of it to hide the actual gift.  But then we had to do a little walking.  You know, get in at least a fraction of the steps we had been logging each day (when we weren’t stuck in the car for seven hours).  Lo and behold, she found a purse that she liked.  She’s been looking for one for at least a year.  And shock number two … she actually bought it.  This being on vacation has really gotten to her. 

In the afternoon we did a little babysitting.  I mean a “little” babysitting.  Josh was at work, and Christi and the boys went somewhere (Somewhere that included a place where they could each don a horrifying mask and then send me a picture addressed simply to “Hi, DadDad”).  That left AnnaGrace with us.  Tough job, but someone had to do it.  The highlight of the first half of our duty time was watching AnnaGrace deal with her babies.  When it came time to change their diaper, she ran into her room and came back with … a pair of winter gloves.  Can’t change a diaper without gloves.  Unsanitary and all. 

At one point Chris asked if I would keep a closer watch on the youngster while she went in the other room to hook her phone up to the charger.  A reasonable request since AnnaGrace had been scrolling through her pictures for a long time.  However, a few minutes after she disappeared, I realized that her phone was sitting on the couch beside me.  Hmm.  I grabbed it and walked in to see what was up, followed closely by my little charge.  I found Chris crashed out on the bed, snoring peacefully.  Uh huh. 

So now it was just the two of us.  I think I did pretty well.  We had sort of a modified tea party.  She brought in the teapot and a cup.  I picked up a stuffed dog with a really long tongue hanging out.  When she handed me a cup, of course I offered it first to the doggie.  Good manners, you know.  And he whipped that tongue into the cup and slurped his way to the bottom in about a second and a half.  And AnnaGrace, being the consummate hostess that she is, poured him some more.  We laughed and giggled as that dog drank up cup after cup from the never-ending teapot.  Next she disappeared into her room.  I waited in intense anticipation.  And soon she returned … with a sock.  One sock.  Purple, I think.  She sat down and held up her foot, so I slipped the sock on.  She then ran back into her room.  I assumed she went to get the other sock.  Silly me.  She returned with a shoe.  One shoe.  And she held up her other foot.  So I helped her get it on.  And she was pleased as punch.  Not sure how pleased her Mom was when she saw it, though, but hey, you left her alone with me.  We concentrate on the things that matter, not … shoes. 

Oh, and I almost forgot … I plugged in Chris’ phone.  Multi-tasking.

Psalms 104:1 says, “Praise the Lord, O my soul.  O Lord my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty.”

Father, thank you for one-on-one kiddo times.  Amen.

No comments: