Tuesday, September 9, 2014

September 9 – “Dream fishing”

I just might have experienced my all-time dream fishing trip yesterday.  Not that there was anything special about the situation of opportunity.  It was just another Monday, but it was in the afternoon, a hot afternoon at that, rather than early in the morning when I prefer going.  It was truly a case of that old adage: “The best time to go fishing is when you can.”  I had one of those windows of opportunity and took it. 

I managed to get some live shrimp, some of which were those big old monsters, but in the surf, those big ones sometimes bring in the most surprising catches.  I went to my usual spot, just in front of WalMart.  The tide was up, which was a good thing, except that it meant I had to feel my way over the rocks to reach the beach.  And on top of that, there was a lot of old, black seaweed gripping the shore line just between the rocks and the sand.  Never a good combination.  It was so nasty right there that I used my pole as a sounding rod to make sure I didn’t step in a hole or in between rocks. 

I was lamenting the dirty water when I finally made my way onto the sand and started walking out.  But as I got ten or fifteen yards from the shoreline I began to notice something I haven’t seen in a very long time … the bottom.  The water was so clear that I could count the ripples in the sand beneath my feet.  I could see the tiny bait fish racing back and forth in their schools.   No waves, either.  It was a Lake Galveston kind of day.  This was looking more and more promising.  I lost my bait on the first cast.  Felt like a whiting or maybe one of those piggies was nibbling a piece at a time.  It was encouraging, though.  At least something was biting.  I hooked up one of those monster shrimp and made my second cast.  Almost as soon as it hit the water, I had a bite.  And I could tell it was a nice one.  Sure enough, it was a very nice speckled trout, my all-time favorite fish, not just to catch, but more importantly, to eat as well.  About that time I glanced up and saw one of my good-luck charms, a big dolphin, surfacing not too far away.  And before I could even make the next cast, I heard a loud, blasting honk from the seawall.  As I turned around to see what had made that horrific noise, there was fire engine 4 driving past.  Now I don’t know if they were honking because they had seen my fire department sticker on the truck or if they were just in a hurry to get to their next call, but I waved anyway.  I always consider seeing a fire truck to be a good sign as well.  Two good luck charms back to back.  I knew this was going to be a good day.

And I certainly wasn’t disappointed.  Virtually every cast brought some kind of strike.  And I started reeling in the specks.  Not just tiny ones that I had to throw back, either.  These were keepers on the high end of the limits.  It was really exciting to be able to actually see them as they made their runs through the clear waters.  My well net filled up quickly.  I even tried switching to bottom dragging to get a few whiting, but the specks just wouldn’t have it.  They even hit on the dead bait I cast.  Oh, I did get a few whiting, a few pompano, and a lady fish or two, but I haven’t experienced that many specks in a feeding frenzy since back when we fished under the lights at Ken Fryer’s house on the bay.  And this time I could see them.  Amazing.  Needless to say, I limited out on some really nice speckled trout.

And so, Young Zakary, it looks like it’s time for another family fish fry.  When are you guys coming back down this way from Waco?  That would be way better than us having to come up there to run from a hurricane.

Genesis 9:1-3 says “Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, ‘Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth.  The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.’”

Father, thank you for an incredible experience fishing yesterday.  The food you provide is amazing.  It’s even more special when it works out that I can catch it myself.  Amen.

No comments: