Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 28 – “Shrimp Festival”

We got to attend a shrimp festival of our own yesterday.  This weekend is the big Galveston Shrimp Festival, with cook-offs and celebrations all over the Island.  We weren’t going to be on the Island for much of the day, however.  Josiah had his very first soccer game, and if you’ve never seen a group of four-year-olds playing soccer, it is a sight to behold.  No way was I going to miss that one.  He did really well, by the way.  I know his team even scored a few times, but I’m not sure they keep score at that level.  The games were held at a YMCA up in League City, hence our departure from the Island.

After the game we headed over to the LaMarque Vaughan’s house for the victory celebration.  Christina’s Dad started a tradition a few years ago of showing off his cooking-with-shrimp prowess for one whole day, and this was the day.  He started off with some shrimp quesadillas.  Lots of options within that general menu, too.  Three different types of cheese.  You could even mingle sausage or chicken with your shrimp.  That was some good stuff.  Unfortunately, however, I had to leave soon after that course.  I officiated a wedding back in Galveston.  Chris returned for the remainder of the occasion, though.  She also managed to watch Micah’s soccer game as well.  Sorry I had to miss that one.

But back to the shrimpfest.  The “snack” course involved some sort of shrimp infested dumplings.  It sounded quite Oriental to me, so I wasn’t too sad about missing that one.  Chris loved it, though.  It was the even meal that I really wanted to be a part of.  Bacon-wrapped shrimp.  Those were my personal favorites last year.  Shrimp surrounded by cheese and bacon and grilled outside.  What a combination of flavors. 

Art packed up some of his specialties in a goody bag for me, and Chris brought it home.  I can’t wait to check it out later today.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Romans 8:37-39 says, “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Father, thank you for allowing us to experience things like the flavors of a shrimp fest and the reckless abandon of a four-year-old playing soccer for the first time.  Amen.

No comments: