Saturday, September 13, 2014

September 13 – “Some of the cousins …”

So no fishing yesterday.  It was raining pretty hard when we woke up, so I had to start on something else instead.  Trish, our incredible administrative assistant at the fire department, sent out an updated phone list for the fire personnel, and there were some changes I needed to record.  Of course that process led to discovery of several other bits of information I was missing.  Between us, though, we got my list up to date.  I think. 

We are also watching the Gulf right now.  There are not one, but two separate systems brewing out there.  One passed over Florida and the other is sitting just off the Yucatan Peninsula, Gulf side.  A cold front has arrived, however.  It was 66 degrees in Waco last night.  Chris keeps up with that area regularly.  Part of her Nana duties.  And it looks like it’s 73 right now here.  The high today is only supposed to get up to 82.  Downright cold. 

We did have to make a WalMart run.  We hosted another family fish fry and needed some bags of that crusty, already seasoned, corn meal stuff.  We also make up a batter with our own recipe for those of us who prefer a different taste.  Since Kel and Christina are some kind of diet right now, we also put a redfish on the grill for a somewhat healthier alternative.  Nathan brought some shrimp to throw in the mix.  Cailyn brought three monster-sized shrimp, and Nathan tossed them in with the red.  I stuck with the fried fish and shrimp, myself.  I figure once the CT scan I have to have on Monday proves there is nothing in my head worth worrying about – or nothing at all – then I may start experiencing the joys of one of those healthier alternative diets myself to get a handle on why my blood pressure is out of whack. 

Of course part of a family fish fry is the accompany Some of the Cousins Sleepover.  It had to be designated thusly.  Micah commented that “It just won’t be the same without Zakary here.”  He must have really missed his cousin cohort and partner in crime.  Micah was the first one asleep.  I think Jachin was next.  Then Cailyn.  Yep, that only leaves Josiah, the youngest of the bunch.  He held out until almost the end of the Baylor football game.  Hey, I only watched it so Caleb – Mr. Up-and-Coming Baylor Fan - would feel like he was a part of the cousins sleepover as well.  I know he was watching and cheering them on.  Even when the defense totally fell apart in the second half and gave up three touchdowns.  And the quarterback fumbled badly and lost the ball.  The third string quarterback.  Of course the regular offense scored 63 points, so it really didn’t matter. 

Now we’re waiting for Cailyn’s Mom to get here to help her get dressed to be a cheerleader at the local kids’ football game.  Neither of us wants to be the one to tell Cailyn that she needs to stop playing and put on her uniform.  I just voted to wait and let her Mom do it.  Isn’t that the prerogative of the grandparent, anyway – let the parents be the bad guy?  I love this role.

Psalms 136:1-3 says, “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.  His love endures forever.   Give thanks to the God of gods.  His love endures forever.  Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.”

Father, thank you for cousins’ sleepovers and fish fries and TV football and cute little five-year-old cheerleaders.  Amen.

No comments: