Thursday, September 25, 2014

September 25 – “Help a fire fighter?”

When I delivered the little stuffed animals to the stations yesterday, the little critters were received with open arms by the guys on shift.  I heard some great stories about how they have used things like that in the past.  One guy in particular shared this one.  If I remember right, it was at the scene of a car wreck.  He noticed a little boy on the scene, obviously scared and doing his best not to completely break down.  The fireman took a little stuffed animal over to the boy, and in his gruff, fire fighter in full bunker gear voice, said, “I need you to do something for me that is really important.  I need you to hold onto this guy and make sure he’s OK.  That will really help me out.  Can you do that?”  Of course the youngster agreed.  His mind was at least momentarily distracted from the confusing array of worries he was facing.  Help a fire fighter?  Well, yeah.

This interchange occurred with Cailyn on the way in to school the other day.  The names of the other children involved have been changed (I think) to protect … aw, it has nothing to do with all that.  I just didn’t hear what she said very well. 

Cailyn: “I want to catch up with McKenzie.”
After a brief run, she fell in right behind her what I assumed was McKenzie, her Mom and her little brother.

Cailyn (with a smile, obviously speaking to the brother): “Hi.”
Nothing.  No response at all from the boy.

Cailyn: “Hi.”
Again, nothing.  No response at all.

Cailyn (changing her flirtation tactics just a bit): “Hi, Cade.”

Cade (without hesitation): “Shut up.”

Cade’s Mom: “Say ‘Good morning’ to her.”

Cade:
No, I didn’t leave anything out.  He said nothing.  Again.

Cailyn (thinking, perhaps, that he didn’t know where she was): “I’m back here.”

Cade (glancing over his shoulder with a sheepish grin on his face): “I know where you are.”

At that, Cailyn grinned widely.  McKenzie stopped and welcomed Cailyn to walk next to her.  Cade’s Mom threw her hands up in the air.  Cailyn’s Grandad laughed out loud, agreeing silently with her Nani’s assessment: “Oh, boy.  Nathan and April sure have their hands full.”

Matthew 25:40 says, “The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'”

Father, thank you for people who care about little kids.  Your little ones do count.  Amen.

No comments: