Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 18 – “It’s a symbol”

I did get the results of the CT scan and x-rays the other day.  The scan showed that there was indeed some gray matter inside my head, contrary to popular opinion.  And it appeared not to have been significantly damaged.  The x-rays on my shoulder revealed cyst in the joint as well as some arthritis (like I didn’t know about arthritis already).  It is exactly the same problem I had in the other shoulder several years ago that eventually required surgery to remove the cyst and file down one of the bones.  My doctor now, though, has to follow proper procedure, of course.  That means the first step is high levels of anti-inflammatory drugs.  I’m already taking them for the rheumatoid arthritis.  Stage two is a steroid shot in the shoulder.  I remember that not helping with the other one, but I understand his predicament with the insurance coverage.  Surgery is the final stage.  We’ll see how all that pans out.

When Cailyn was over the other day she got very excited when she saw a little American flag that we had around the house for some reason.  She brought it over to me and quite properly explained, “DadDad, this right here is a symbol.”  Now I have always been fascinated by the world of symbols.  I have even taught a class on symbols within Christianity.  Here’s the interchange that followed:
Me: “A symbol?  I thought it was a flag.”
Cailyn: “Oh, DadDad.  A flag is a symbol.”
Me: “Well, what is a symbol?”(I know, I fully expected her to say “a flag,” but she didn’t).
Cailyn (Proudly holding the flag up to her chest):“A symbol means this is what I am.”
Me (firmly resisting the urge to say something like “Oh, so you’re a flag”): “Oh, so you’re an American?”
Cailyn: “Yes, DadDad.  And so are you.  And every place has one of these.”
Me (Someone has been listening in school): “That’s right.  Every country has a flag symbol.  And some people also call us Texans, right?”

By this time I had googled “Texas” to show her the Texas flag.  As we scrolled through the images, one in particular caught her eye.  It was, indeed, the flag of the Texans.  Complete with a star and red, white and blue, and a cow’s head.  The Houston Texans.  Football team. 
Cailyn: “That’s the Texan flag, right, DadDad?”
Me (sighing): “That’s right.  If you’re a football player.
I did point out the real Texas flag.  She looked at me like I was a dinosaur, shook her head a few times, and condescendingly noted, “That’s right, DadDad.  Good job.”

We then switched over to a google of the term “symbol” to see what others she could pick out.  She had no trouble at all with “Recycle.”  The little letter c with a circle around it was intriguing.  Have you ever tried to explain copyright law to a five year old?  She knew the cross was “Jesus died on the cross for us.”  She thought it was kind of funny that the fish was all about Jesus as well.  The caduceus (the snake crawling up the cross that is the symbol of the medical profession) got her excited.  “That one means they sell scrubs, right?”  She knew a few others: bathroom, smiley face, up, down.  The ones she didn’t know but was very interested in were fascinating as well: the symbols for male and female (she thought they were hilarious), the dollar sign (hey, I’m confident she would have known credit card), the skull and crossbones poison symbol (“that just means pirates”), and the Rx symbol for prescription drugs (“but it’s just an r and an x”). 

It was an eye-opening and incredibly fun few minutes.  I recommend it highly as an experience for any youngster and adult.  The adult just might learn something.

Psalms 145:7 says, “Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations.  The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.”

Father, thank you for connections … with Cailyn and our grandkids … with our :big  kids” … with you.  Amen.

No comments: