Wednesday, September 17, 2014

September 17 – “One for the books”

We had a few rookies in our water therapy class yesterday.  Glad they came when our regular teacher was in charge so they could experience a typical day without the trials and wackiness of our substitutes.  We actually had two other newbies, but they thought the class started at 8:30.  That’s when it ends.  And as it turned out, I actually knew those last two.  They were sisters who grew up in the house I now live in.  They were both older than me when we lived across the street from each other, so I suppose I was more of a pain in the neck to them than anything back then.  We have connected several times since then, though, so they see me in a slightly better light now.  At least I hope they do.  Chris starts in the class the first Tuesday in October.  It will be great to have her there so she can experience first-hand what I’ve been telling her about the last year or so I have been doing this. 

We are block captains for our Neighbors Night Out, but that’s not until next month.  All we have to do is put a flier on everyone’s door and let them bring their $5 to us to help buy the hot dogs.  We were going to wait until at least next week to hand out our fliers.  If we do it now people will tend to forget about it.  Of course someone came to our door yesterday with their money in hand to turn in.  Guess we are already behind. 

I spent some time working on the funeral I am officiating this weekend.  The father of the deceased has been calling with ideas of what he would like to see, and yesterday he even emailed me an order of service.  If I wait long enough he’ll have the whole thing done.  Actually, he was very gracious, and said whatever I want to do will be fine.  I think he is doing all this as part of his grieving process.  It is going to be quite a chore, though, to put what he really wants to have happen together with what really needs to happen and come out with a unified expression of honor and consolation.  The really good thing, though, is that he wants it to be light-hearted and fun and heavy on the celebration side of things.  In fact he even had a little dramatic comedy skit he wanted me to work in somehow.  Light-hearted.  Fun.  Heavy on the celebration.  Comedy.  I think I can do this one.  Promises to be one for the books, to be sure.

Psalms 145:3-7 says, “Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.  One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.  They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will meditate on your wonderful works.  They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds.  They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.”

Father, thank you for giving us plenty of reason to celebrate, even in sad times.  Amen.

No comments: