Wednesday, September 24, 2014

September 24 – “Sewing Seeds of Love”

Yesterday at water therapy, one of the ladies told me she had something in her car for the fire department.  After we finished our workout she led me to her car and pulled out a huge Bed, Bath, and Beyond shopping bag stuffed full of small little stuffed animals.  Elephants and bears and cats and ducks.  All made from different kinds of fabrics.  Very cute stuff.  She is in a sewing group at a Methodist Church in Clear Lake called Sewing Seeds of Love.  The idea behind the donation is not so the fire fighters can feel a sense of comfort while on duty by napping with the cute little critters.  Although some of them might benefit from that.  I know I would.  The creatures are for the guys to have on hand to give away to little kids who might be involved in a car wreck or fire.  It might help just a little bit to have a little stuffed friend to hang on to in the traumatic situation.  They can also be available for the guys to hand out at the station or as they make calls in the neighborhood.  Sounds to me like that would be good for community relations.  I’ll be getting the goods out to the different stations, hopefully beginning this week.  Thank you so much to that group. 

Gotta throw in a quick Cailyn story.  She found my back scratcher tool the other day.  After inspecting it carefully, she began to gently scratch across her forehead.  Her eyes slowly closed, and the expression on her face was one of absolute peace.  I was fascinated.  Finally, with a puzzled look on my face, I asked, “Why are you scratching your head?”

Without missing a beat, she matter-of-factly replied, “That knocks out everything in my mind.  It helps my brain feel better, too.” 

Pass it over here when you get done.  I’ll take anything that makes my brain feel better.

Colossians 3:15-17 says, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Father, thank you for the creativity of the sewing group, coming up with such a great idea for ministry.  Bless their efforts and make each of them happy.  Amen.

No comments: