Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September 23 – “Loving you and a valiant rescue”

What a hodgepodge of grandchildren type experiences yesterday brought.  From starting the day by getting Cailyn to school, to a rather unique quick trip at around ten p.m., our day was bursting at the seams with kids.

We picked up Cailyn at around 3:00.  And yesterday at 3:00, in case you were basking in the coolness of air conditioning at the time, was hot.  I didn’t look at the temperature, but I sure felt it first-hand.  Cailyn, of course, headed straight for the playground.  Great.  It’s a lot of fun on cooler days, but what miseries would this day bring?  I communicated my concerns to Cailyn, but she quickly assured me that “It’ll be all right DadDad.  I just have to show you.”  Well, as it turned out, what she had to show me was just the ticket.  We crawled up onto the top of the highest slide, at which point, right before you slide downward, there in a tiny little housetop.  And underneath that housetop?  That’s right.  Shade.  And a cool breeze to boot.  I happily followed her up there, and she crawled into my lap.  We sat there for a while, just talking about her day.  Seems someone had sprayed Lysol into the fire alarm and set it off, resulting in an unplanned fire drill.  A couple of the engines responded, so Cailyn apparently took charge of the situation with her classmates, assuring them that all would be fine because she knew the names of some those fire fighters.  Not sure how her knowing names makes everything all right, but I was sure inspired to redouble my efforts at learning the guys’ names. 

Last night Kel and Christina brought their kids over for a while so they could go on a date, and our evening turned into a chaotic mix of games and wrestling and rocking babies.  Aside from their usual assortment of laps through the office, into the hall, around into the kitchen, back down the other hall and into the office again, there were some unexpected moments.  Noa found my old phone.  It’s the one with my picture dressed as Superman on the case.  She actually recognized me, and carried it around the house telling everyone it was DadDad.  It only slowed her down a moment when she first saw me in person.  She looked at the picture, then up at me, then back down at the picture.  A big grin came over her face.  She proudly held the phone up for me to see, and declared “DadDad.”  Then with her other hand she pointed up at me and made a second declaration, “DadDad.”  That’s my girl.  I understand that at home the other day Christina was doing her best to get Noa to say “I love you.”  Over and over she tried, “Noa, say I love you I love you,” all to no avail.  Suddenly, Kel walked up.  Noa turned to him and immediately said, “Love you.”  Sorry, Mommy. 

Jachin and I talked some football.  We had to look up the score of the Broncos game.  It went into overtime, so he missed the end.  Sadly, the Broncos lost.  Micah and Josiah were in a world of their own.  They were taking turns misshaping each other’s faces to look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and shortening his nickname to a simple “Dam” (with a short vowel sound on that letter “a,” of course).  Nothing quite like having a valid excuse to say what is disallowed in any other circumstance.  Must have been an effective movie.  Oh, and we did play a rousing game of hide and seek.  On my turn I raced as fast as I could around the track to catch Micah.  Didn’t come close.  But I did manage to get what feels like a stone bruise on my heel.  Still hurts this morning.

Then just as they were leaving we got a text from April asking if they had left Cailyn’s cheerleader backpack here.  A quick search gave that answer … Nope.  So we ran over to Weis, the school where they practice, and sure enough, there it was, sitting forlornly next to the doors of the school, just waiting for a valiant rescuer.  Happy to fill that role. 

Psalms 147:10-11 says, “His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.”

Father, thank you for chances, even as old as I am, to be a trusted one, a recognized one, a horsing-around one, and well, a rescuer.  Makes me feel a little more like you.  Amen.

No comments: