Monday, September 15, 2014

September 15 – “Molecules of Musk”

I had some fun with perfume at church yesterday.  The teaching was about the time Mary of Bethany poured a bottle full of pure nard on Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair.  I brought some perfume so everyone could have the olfactory experience that must have happened in the room that day.  The only question was how to deliver the smell without knocking everyone out.  I know there are a lot of smells that really get to me, and some even make me want to throw up, so I did want to be careful.  Sure didn’t want a chain reaction of people racing to the bathroom. 

My final decision was to get some kids involved.  Always a good choice.  Chris gave me the further idea of spraying the perfume on some cotton balls and keeping them in small baggies until time to take a sniff.  So I had three kids come up as my assistants.  They had to take a whiff first, so I did squirt some into the air.  The two boys who were there just knew in their heart of hearts that I was going to squirt some on them and they would have to smell like a girl all day.  They required some reassuring that I would never do something like that.  Where would they ever get that idea?  I just squirted some into the air near them, and they had to step in and breathe.  They got nothing on their first attempt, so we had to try again before they finally acknowledged an odor. 

Meanwhile the very cute little girl was keeping a safe distance – from the boys as well as the floating molecules of musk.  I had to go over closer to her and spray her very own spritz of stink.  As you can imagine, by this time I was getting overcome by the aroma myself, so we quickly moved to the task at hand, distributing the baggies around the room.  The kids did an admirable job of walking around with their bags open and allowing everyone a chance to snort a whiff of the scene setter. 

We have done similar things at Seaside before.  I remember back when Lanny was here.  He would get there early and spray different air fresheners around the room.  His idea was to duplicate as closely as possible the smells of the temple, with its incenses and sacrifices.  It was a great idea then and still is.  People remember things so much better when more of their senses are involved in the learning process.  Hmm.  Next Sunday we have a baptism.  How can we simulate the senses involved in being at a first century baptism?  The smells of the waters and the sounds of the waves and the feel of sand beneath your feet and the pervasive moisture in the air around you.  Oh, wait.  We get that every time we do a baptism.  After all, we just walk down to the beach and wade out into the Gulf.  Can’t wait.

2 Corinthians 2:15 says, “For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.”

Father, make our lives a pleasing aroma to you and to all around us.  Amen.

No comments: