Monday, January 9, 2012

January 9 – “A little family tidbit”

 
 
Chris spent the night at the hospital last night so she could have a better chance at talking to the doctor.  She did get to spend some time with him and she was able to talk with the nurse as well.  Her Dad was placed on a ventilator and sedated because there was some swelling in his brain as a result of the stroke.  The plan is to keep him that way for a few days to give the swelling time to go down, then try to slowly wean him off.  His speech has been affected for sure, and his memory will probably be affected as well.  That will intensify the dementia he has already been experiencing.  The next steps were to keep him in ICU for at least a week, then in the hospital for two weeks, then to a rehab facility.  That was if no other complications arose.  Yesterday afternoon he started running a fever, and now they think he might have a touch of pneumonia.  I'm not sure what that might do to the plans.
 
Chris also got to talk with her Dad's sister.  The aunt told her that as a boy her Dad went to church every Sunday, and "proudly carried his Bible with him."  It wasn't until he was about 15 that he stopped going, probably because of typical teenage rebellion.  That one little family tidbit really gave Chris some hope that her Dad had some kind of encounter with God as a child.  Of course she'll find out when we get to heaven.
 
All the texting Chris and I did last night reminded me of when she was living with her Mom right before she died.  I could do without another experience like that, and I know Chris doesn't want it either. 
 
On the home front, Mom was still asleep when I got back from church.  In fact it took me until almost 1:30 to get her out of bed.  We did get to watch some of the football game together, though.  We saw most of the Denver game.  Got to see Tim Tebow bow before God after the victory.  Way to go, Tim. 
 
Isaiah 46:8-10 says, "Remember this, fix it in mind, take it to heart, you rebels.  Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like me.  I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.  I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please."
 
Father, thank you for giving Chris that little family trivia tidbit to encourage her yesterday.  Amen.

No comments: