Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January 11 – “One of those days”

 
 
"Yesterday was one of those days."  That has always sounded a bit strange to me.  One of which days?  How can you start out with a phrase like that?  It comes straight from the pen that inspired such greats as "you know how they are" and the always mysterious "you know what they say."  Very frustrating to hear and often impossible to understand.  Ah, the world of pronouns with no nouns to refer to.  An English teacher's nightmare.  An old wife's (as in old wives' tale) dream. 
 
I actually thought about doing a whole day's journal on that subject, but I started falling asleep.  So how much worse could my boring day yesterday be than that? 
 
I spent most of the day working on the sermon for Sunday.  It's going to be one of those state of the church, vision-casting kind of things.  But I guess I'm not smart enough to just whip it out in an hour or two.  As it stands now I have it set up as a three-parter, separated by the other aspects of the worship service.  I've done this sort of thing before, so it should work out.  Still have a lot of fine-tuning to do yet. 
 
I helped Chris out with some pictures.  She is putting together a scrapbook of Christmases past, so she has to find just the right pictures to tell the story of each Christmas in our grandkids' lives.  Quite a project, but it already looks like it will be fun to page through.
 
I got a haircut somewhere in there.
 
And Cailyn came by to tell us all about the new princess bed she was going to get.  She was beside herself, bubbling all over the house with the exciting news.  They sent us a picture of it after it was all set up.  It looks great, but I'm still trying to figure out just what makes it a princess bed.  Are they going to put a pea under the mattress?  (That's a little literary allusion.  Pretty funny, huh?).  Cailyn said her plan was to put a bunch of princess stickers on it.  That should work. 
 
Not that she really needs a bed to sleep in.  The other day when she was here, she never took a nap (even though I did while trying to get her to sleep), so by 6:00 she was tired and cranky.  About the she got upset at something random and decided she wanted her Mommy and Daddy to come back.  It wasn't enough just to let her feelings be made known.  She had to make a dramatic exit from the room and send forth some pitiful wails in the process.  She ended up issuing periodic statements from her stronghold under my desk.  And after a while those comments got fewer and farther between as well as quieter and quieter.  We sent in to check on her and she was fast asleep under the desk.  After an hour or so she woke up, and she was fine.  Very happy.  Quite chipper.  Who needs a bed, anyway?  I don't think a pea will be a problem for that little princess.
 
Isaiah 49:13 says, "Shout for joy, O heavens; rejoice, O earth; burst into song, O mountains!  For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones."
 
Father, thank you for every one of "those days" that you grant me.  Each one is one more chance to see the little miracles you perform all around me.  Amen.

No comments: