Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 17 – “Secret Identity”

 
 
Chris went up to Houston to check on her Dad yesterday.  He was sedated again because he had resumed his agitated ways.  She did get to talk to a nurse this time, though.  Come to find out his lungs are still gunky with some kind of infection.  And he is still having trouble with basic swallowing.  As a result of that (which is a pretty major difficulty if you think about it), Chris had the opportunity of helping the nurse put the feeding tube back in.  That's the one that goes in through the nose and down the throat.  Not my favorite image early in the morning.  She told me a lot of times the tube misses its proposed track and ends up coming out the mouth.  Then they have to pull it up and start over.  Yummy.  That particular nurse had been off for two days, and she said it seemed to her that his cognitive abilities were not as good as they had been before she left. 
 
I have an observation or two about the comic book Bible I got for Christmas.  Actually it's called the Action Bible.  It has a picture of Jesus on the spine with a stern look on his face, long hair blowing in the breeze, one arm outstretched in front of him, palm up, and some kind of flicker-looking objects floating above his wrist.  I think we may need to contact Marvel comics.  Someone's secret identity may be at risk.  Minus the long hair and first century robe, Jesus could have been Spiderman. 
 
I've been reading a story or two from it each morning for my quiet time.  Today I read about Jacob being sent away to get a wife so his brother wouldn't kill him.  Loved the way it started out.  A servant rushed into Rebekah's tent, breathless.  Frantically she managed to get out that she had just overheard Esau saying he was going to kill his brother.  It was the Rebekah character that stood out to me.  When they first drew her she was a beautiful young woman.  Now she was portrayed as a grizzled, conniving, hateful old hag.  Scary.  I think I would have gone on a long trip, too.  Can't wait to see what Leah looks like. 
 
Isaiah 52:7 says, "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'"
 
Father, use me as one of those beautiful people.  Amen.

No comments: