Sunday, January 29, 2012

January 29 – “Brrr-y”

 
 
I had to start off this post with one of Cailyn's favorite words.  Brrr-y.  Actually I'm not sure how many R's should be in there.  That's a factor of just how cold it really is outside.  It didn't get too bad on the island last night.  Just around 47.  I heard over in Texas it was supposed to hit the 30's.  That's way too Brrrrr-y for me.
 
The docs weren't able to wean April off the ventilator after all yesterday.  Her lungs showed evidence of more fluid buildup, so they kept her on the machine to give her time to rest after surgery and them time to discover if the fluid was the result of a new secondary infection or the original mystery one.  The good news was that when they brought her up closer to consciousness, she was able to follow the simple commands like "squeeze my hand."  She is still hanging in there and fighting.   Nathan is hanging in there, too, but as the days go on, he is getting pretty tired.  He doesn't sleep much, and he's very frustrated that there is absolutely nothing he can do.  Of course.  He's a fire fighter.  He saves people for a living. 
 
I have been trying to read my new Stephen King novel.  Actually I think it's the first one by him I have ever read.  I've seen some of the movies based on his book.  This one is quite the endeavor, though.  It's about two inches thick.  Has over 800 pages.  It's a very engaging story, though.  All about some guy going back in time and trying to stop the assassination of President Kennedy.  It could do without the foul language and still tell the story.  Anyway, reading in the intensive care waiting is kind of hard for a natural people watcher.  And even when there were few people around, I kept getting interrupted by some breaking news about April or by a breaking nap.          
 
Headed to church in a few minutes.  I'll have to really preserve my speaking voice, though.  It's already raspy just from talking to Cailyn about breakfast and the wedding section of the newspaper and which dress she picked out for church.  That's another good thing about her being a girl.  I really don't have to say much.
 
Isaiah 55:6-7 says, "Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near.  Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts.  Let him turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon."
 
Father, we are really seeking you on behalf of April.  Even if we can't see it yet, find her.  Amen.

No comments: