Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 7 – “Parent mode”

 
 
Quick update on Chris' Dad.  The bleeding has apparently stopped, or at least has not increased.  They had to insert a feeding tube because he was having trouble swallowing.  They also sedated and restrained him because every time he woke up he got very agitated and tried to pull out his tubes.  His blood pressure randomly spikes very high, but when they give him medication it drops very low.  They are still monitoring him and still don't expect to do any surgery.  The good things so far are that Chris got to spend some time talking to her sister yesterday, she began a new telephone acquaintance with another half-sister who lives in Louisiana, and we have been receiving lots of encouraging calls and emails and Facebook posts expressing concern and love.  Thanks to all for that.  It has made a difference to Chris. 
 
How about some fun stuff now?  Today is the Houston Texans playoff game, so that's all anyone around here talks about.  I finally watched my first college bowl game of the year the other day.  Well, part of it.  Oregon and a W-on-their-helmet team – Wisconsin, I think.  Oregon won in a shoot-out, very high-scoring and not much defense.  Entertaining, though.  I missed the Baylor game, but I heard it was much the same.  I saw about two minutes of the Cotton Bowl last night.  Arkansas was ahead and had just scored, but Kansas State blocked the extra point and ran it back for two points of their own.  Didn't see much else, though.  The Galveston paper didn't even mention who won, so I had to check the Houston Chronicle.  Looks like Arkansas held on.
 
Here's a quick Cailyn story.  Remember that imaginary dog named Polka Dot from the other day?  It was not her first foray into the animal kingdom.  A while back I heard her talking to someone in the other room, so I went in to check on her.  She was sitting on the floor surrounded by books, with one in her lap.  As I rounded the corner I heard, "Hush, Doggy.  I trying to read here.  Don't bark."  Apparently the doggy didn't listen too well, because the next step was a tell-tale wag of the finger and this priceless line: "I gonna fank ur's panny."  Sure caused me to snap to attention.  I hope that doggy did what he was told.  I'd hate to think he had to face the further wrath of Cailyn in "parent mode."
 
Isaiah 45:22-24 says, "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.  By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity a word that will not be revoked: Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear.  They will say of me, 'In the Lord alone are righteous-ness and strength.'  All who have raged against him will come to him and be put to shame."
 
Father, thank you for reminding me of the joys that always lurk in the midst of the toughest situations.  Amen.

No comments: