Monday, January 16, 2012

January 16 – “An imaginary movie”

 
 
We had a really great crowd at church yesterday.  And then more people stayed for dinner on the grounds than have stuck around for a long time.  And this happened even on a day the Texans were playing … in a playoff game, no less.  Of course the food was great, too.  And taking down the Christmas decorations went extremely fast.  Great day.  Great working together. 
 
Mom made it to church.  She was a little out of it, but she made it.  I sat next to her when we said the Lord's prayer, and she recited the whole thing without missing a word.  That was kind of encouraging.
 
I remembered another Cailyn story.  A week or so ago she was over here and was engaged in some pretty creative play.  Not so much with her collection of imaginary friends this time, although they were around for the first part of the day.  She was joined by at least one of them while I was doing some work on the computer and Chris was in the kitchen.  I don't know which one it was this time, but Cailyn kept up a continuous flow of conversation with him.  They were searching for something together when they came across my wallet on the shelf next to my desk.  Her eyes lit up when she first saw it.  I was watching out of the corner of my eye, so she didn't realize I could see what was happening.  The chattering stopped almost instantly and a deafening silence fell over the room, punctuated only by the occasional click from my keyboard.  I peeked a time or two and noted that she was systematically emptying everything out.  She started with the pictures and continued through the credit cards, AARP card, AAA card, minister's savings card from Lifeway – everything.  And then she looked in the slot where money goes.  Ah.  Her whole demeanor changed.  Money.  Not that there was a lot in there.  It was, after all, my wallet.  But she stealthily reached in with her pudgy little fingers and came out with a one dollar bill.  You would have thought she had discovered the mother lode in a gold mine. She jumped up and tossed the wallet to the floor.  Money.  She had what she needed now.  And sadly she left her imaginary friend in the lurch.  This discovery warranted notifying a human being.  So she rushed right past me to go show it to Nani.  Of course by then I was entranced.  I couldn't hear everything that went on, so I got Chris to fill in the blanks later. 
 
Cailyn showed Chris the dollar and excitedly explained, "I found a money Nani.  I can't find money at my home in any of the wallets or in the closet."
Yes, I know that feeling well.
Chris asked, "What are you going to do with that money?"
And the reply, "I go to store and get food and princess stuff and books.  And go to movies.  Want to come with me?"
And of course Chris said, "Sure.  Let's go."
Cailyn took her by the hand and led her down the hall to the bedroom where she sleeps when she stays with us.  They took their places on one of the beds as Chris asked, "how much does it cost to go to the movies?"
Without missing a beat Cailyn had an answer, "Thirty dollars." 
Maybe this child has been to the movies more than we thought.
She followed with, "Shh, Nani.  Watch the movie," and pointed to the blinds.  Chris was fascinated.  Not by the imaginary movie so much as by the fact that Cailyn was reacting as if she was actually seeing a movie.  She laughed.  She pointed.  She made comments.  It must have been quite a show.  Maybe I'll get to see the next one with her.
 
Isaiah 51:15-16 says, "For I am the Lord your God, who churns up the sea so that its waves roar — the Lord Almighty is his name.  I have put my words in your mouth and covered you with the shadow of my hand"
 
Father, thank you for being there Sunday.  Again.  Amen.

No comments: