Tuesday, January 24, 2012

January 24 – “Parenting consistency”

 
 
I finally got our grass mowed for the winter yesterday.  I know.  It's Galveston.  The winter is pretty much over now.  It's just that I finally got a day I could go borrow the lawn mower from Nathan and April.  Ours refuses to start.  Again.  I know the feeling.  Anyway, I got the front and back mowed.  And edged. 
 
Cailyn stayed with us for the day as well.  Her Mom started back to school again, so we'll be seeing her regularly again.  And right off the bat she rediscovered two of the extremely fragile that Chris' Mom made. They are the kind where the head and extremities are made of porcelain.  These in particular look like sleeping infants, wearing handmade dresses.  Very impressive.  Of course Cailyn, being a girl through and through, wanted to pick them up and snuggle with them.  Chris patiently explained their fragility, but encouraged her to look at them.  Cailyn stroked them oh-so gently and talked softly to them.  Very sweet.  Later on I was with her, and she asked me if she could pick them up.  Checking out our parenting consistency.  I told her the same thing Chris did.  This time she again stroked them lovingly, then bent over and kissed each one on the forehead.  Then she turned to me with her finger to her mouth and shh'ed me.  Said they were sleeping.  So I suggested we leave the room.  She agreed.  Just a bit later we were walking down the hall toward the kitchen, when she abruptly detoured into the bedroom again and went straight to the babies.  I asked what she was doing.  That got me an abbreviated, but still developing form of "the Look," that quality of females that is reserved for males in their lives who do or say things totally inconsistent with that incomprehensible female logic.  She informed me in no uncertain terms, "You woke them up."  She performed her little ritual again, and I guess they went back to sleep.  I got an extra dose of shhh, and we left the room.
 
Chris went to see her Dad in the afternoon.  The last time she was there he talked about wanting oatmeal for breakfast and even responded with a heartfelt "No" when she asked if he wanted coffee.  He has never liked coffee.  But he never opened his eyes.  Later that night the hospital called to tell her he had been placed in ICU because he had a nosebleed.  Not a great thing for someone on blood thinners.  They had tried to call her brother but it went straight to his voicemail.  So yesterday she went to check on him again.  One of his lungs had almost completely filled up with gunky fluid, so they still had him in ICU on a respirator.  Chris was able to fill the nurse in on some of his medical history.
 
After she left Cailyn and I played some catch in the backyard, and then I told her that Nani told me I had to rest for a while.  I asked if she would lay down with me and help me read books.  She graciously agreed.  Who can argue with the word of Nani?  She stayed with me until both of us dozed off.  The phone ringing woke me up, but she stayed asleep for and hour and a half.  Pretty good afternoon. 
 
Isaiah 53:7 says, "He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth."
 
Father, give Chris' Dad some relief today, and speak into his confusion.  Amen.

No comments: