Friday, January 27, 2012

January 27 – “Hard to focus”

 
 
Paramount on our minds over the last few days has been the condition of our daughter-in-law April, Nathan's wife.  She is still in the Medical Intensive Care Unit at UTMB.  And her condition is still a mystery to doctors.  It's a case that most certainly could be, and probably should be, assigned more to the TV show House than to the real lives of this small-town, simple Galveston family.  Josh drove down from San Antonio to give Nathan some support, and April's Dad is due here in the morning from Corpus Christi.
 
The doctors tried once again to put in a central IV line.  And once again failed.  April's veins just seem to collapse.  They were able to get a picc line in (that's like the one I had in for a few months back when I had that MRSA infection).  They also managed to complete an arterial line so they could keep a more accurate reading on her blood pressure.  She has been on a machine off and on that helps her take deeper breaths in an effort to keep her oxygen saturation levels up.  When she tries to talk they drop into the 80's and even 70's instead of staying near 100.  Her blood is not producing enough white cells to fight off infection, so she is on doses of two different antibiotics, and she has received two units of blood.  Her lymph nodes are swollen, as are her liver and spleen.  And her spleen is bleeding.  They are watching that carefully, with an emergency surgery team standing by in case it ruptures.  Results on bone marrow biopsies are due back today.  There are a number of other things going on as well, believe it or not.  And the doctors are still stumped as to the root cause. 
 
Our list of people offering up prayers has grown to 29 different sites.  The fire-fighting community has been tremendous in encouraging us.  Cailyn has been a little trooper through the whole ordeal.  She just knows her Mommy is sick, and she always has a sweet prayer for her when we eat and go to bed.  Nathan is trying to stay strong, especially when he is with April or Cailyn.  But the sheer exhaustion is wearing on him.  I guess we are getting pretty tired as well, though certainly not on his scale.  That's what being a parent, and a friend, and Christian family is all about.  Being there at any time, any place, for however long it takes. 
 
Cailyn spent some time playing with her cousins yesterday.  They went to Chick-fil-A and got to see a guy dressed up like a cow.  Now that would be a fun job as long as it wasn't a hot day.  It was good to walk in and hear Josiah's welcoming cry, "Nani and DadDad."  And it never hurts to get one of those hugs that only a toddler can give.  We were going to leave for San Antonio for Caleb's birthday today.  Looks like if we go it will be a quick trip down and back tomorrow.  I have the basics down for the sermon Sunday, but I sure haven't spent much time on it.  Many have asked if there is anything we need or anything you can do for us.  Please keep the prayers coming.  Beyond that, it reminds me of the feelings we had after Hurricane Ike.  I don't know for sure what we need, so I don't know how to answer.  As the flow of this post shows, it's just been hard to stay focused. 
 
Psalms 23 says, "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.  You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
 
Father, it always helps to remember that.  Pretty basic stuff, but sometimes I forget.  Thanks for being there.  Amen. 

No comments: