Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 5 – “Polka Dot”

 
 
Here are some Quick Quips from the Vaughan Cottage that have stumbled and tripped their way to the fore in the last few days.
 
Chris waking Mom up in the morning to get ready for Libbie's Place is quite an ordeal.  It usually starts around 7:30 and we are happy to get her there by 10:00.  The other day I heard this interchange:
Chris: "It's time to get up and eat breakfast"
Mom: "Shoot"
Chris: "Shooting it's not gonna get it eaten."
Me: "Huh?"
 
Cailyn has been over a time or two, most recently yesterday.  Her Mom and Dad are trying to remodel their kitchen, so she spent some time with us out of their way.  When Chris went to pick up Mom, Cailyn stayed with me so she could play outside.  And while we were out there she introduced me to her new imaginary friend.  She found him at the end of the street after digging a hole in some dirt.  She was very excited at the discovery.  Immediately she began describing him.  "He has polka dots and eyes and ears and legs and a smiley face."  She carefully picked him up and carried him back down to the house.  Placing him on the driveway, she decided she would take a picture of him.  She reached into her pocket.  "I get my camera," she explained.  She held it to her eye and aimed in the direction of the new friend.  But something happened.  I must have blinked, because I never saw it coming.  She was visibly upset and let out with one of her "Oh, no!" exclamations that she hears Dora and Diego all the time.  I asked what was wrong and she explained, "He knocked my camera and broke it."  Of course.  How could I not see that.  Thinking quickly, I offered to let her use my phone to get the picture.  Pleased, she carefully aimed at … well, at a spot on the driveway.  She clicked.  I asked if she got the picture, and she assured me she did.  Now I was intrigued.  As I fumbled with the controls to look at the picture for myself (and I must confess I wondered if I would actually see something), I asked her to describe the thing again.  In that condescending, yet sweet way of hers, she tsk'ed me a time or two, but repeated herself for the benefit of the old guy.  "I told you, DadDad.  He has polka dots and eyes and ears and legs and a smiley face.  And he's my doggie." 
 
What?  Wait.  Doggie?  I must have missed that the first time.  As I was registering this new bit of information she picked him up and headed for the front door.  "I take him inside now."  As we walked to the door I finally asked, "What is his name?" 
"I told you, DadDad, he has polka dots." She chuckled at my forgetfulness.
"I know that's what he looks like, but what is his name?"
"No, DadDad.  You're so silly," she indicated, as she opened the door and tossed him inside, "Polka Dot.  His name is Polka Dot."
"Of course," I agreed, slapping myself on the forehead with the palm of my hand. 
 
She returned to her task of playing outside until Chris and Mom returned.  I assumed old Polka Dot was a thing of the past.  Being the true gentleman that I am, I walked over and held the front door open for Mom to go in.  And I was immediately chastised for my efforts at chivalry.  Cailyn scolded me, "DadDad, no.  You can't open the door or Polka Dot will get out."  Oops.  How could I forget?  I told her to go inside first and hold him so Mom could get in.  She responded very matter-of-factly, "OK."  Polka Dot was safe and Mom was home.  And they all lived happily ever after. 
 
Isaiah 44:8 says, "Do not tremble, do not be afraid.  Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago?  You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me?  No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."
 
Father, thanks for letting me meet Polka Dot yesterday.  If I take my glasses off and scrunch my eye up just enough, I can almost see him even now.  Amen.

No comments: