Thursday, January 19, 2012

January 19 – “George the Sponge”

 
 
Yesterday was kind of a blur to me.  Most likely a combination of things.  I had very little sleep the night before.  Knocked out my rhythm since we had Cailyn to spend the night.  I think I read Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast and Snow White and Little mermaid at least four times.  Each.  And we had the Beauty and the Beast video going on the TV.  Twice.  And that doesn't count the endless repetition of the intro music when the movie ends.  She finally went to sleep somewhere around 10 or 10:30.  But I just wasn't sleepy.  I ended up reading a lot and completed five or six crossword puzzles. 
 
Speaking of reading a lot, I finished Inheritance.  That's the last book in the Eragon dragon series.  Very gripping story, but difficult to follow with all the strange names in several different languages – Elf, Dwarf, Human, Dragon, and some kind of ogre-like creatures.  Reminiscent of The Lord of the Rings series to be sure, with fighting and magic and good versus evil. 
 
As always there were some shining moments with Cailyn.  At one point she wanted to have a picnic.  I suggested that we set up on the rug in the office.  But no.  She had in mind exactly where we would be and how everything would happen.  She took me by the hand and led me to … the bathroom.  There she oh-so-carefully placed a towel on the floor.  I was instructed to take my place on the little stool she uses to reach the sink (and other key places).  She pulled out the Noah's Ark bathtub toy and indicated that the boat was her pot for cooking as well as serving.  Must have been one of those new-fangled crock pot things.  The meal was amazing.  We had some kind of roasted hippopotamus.  Yummy. 
 
The highlight of the whole experience came after the meal.  She reached into a drawer and pulled out a rectangular object, about an inch thick, four inches wide and six inches long.  She asked what it was, and I told her, keeping it simple.  She turned it over and over in her hands for a long few seconds.  I could hear the wheels turning in her head.  Finally she made the announcement.  "I gonna read you a story now, DadDad."  I settled back in my step bench easy chair, leaning against the lower cabinet door handles (ouch).  And she began.  Now the story wasn't a long one.  The kind you read in the bathroom never are.  And I can't remember all the details.  But it was about a guy named George.  George the Sponge.  Great idea for a children's book, don't you think.  Write a story on a sponge about a guy named George the Sponge.  Can't wait to hear the sequel.  George the Sponge Meets Willie the Waterfaucet.  Instant classic. 
 
Isaiah 53:1-3 says, "Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?  He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground.  He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.  He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.  Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not."
 
Father, thank you for being God of the Wee Hours the other night.  Amen.

No comments: