Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January 18 – “You’re so silly”

 
 
We got a call from Nathan yesterday morning asking if we could come over and watch Cailyn while he went to a fire department meeting.  April started nursing school classes yesterday, so she was going to be gone.  Tough decision.  She was still asleep when we arrived, but pretty soon she was up and at 'em.  She grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs into her room to show me, well, everything in her room.  She started dumping these nifty little trays full of random toys all over the floor.  I asked her why she didn't leave the toys in the trays and pull out the ones she wanted.  Guess that was a stupid question.  She just looked at me with a quizzical expression on her face, let out and exasperated sigh … and dumped the next one. 
 
She let me know that her imaginary dog friend named Polka Dot was not in the house.  I remembered him.  Met him one day when we were playing in our front yard.  I asked if he was outside.  She answered, "No DadDad.  He's over at your house.  You're so silly."  Oh.  I should have known that.
 
She did fix us some pretend macaroni.  We learned a while back though, that it's not mac and cheese.  She doesn't like that.  But she loves macaroni.  They are fixed the same and taste the same.  But watch what you call it.
 
She wanted to ride her new bike outside.  Not a problem.  It was damp and muggy, but as long as she wore her helmet, Nani was fine with it.  Ah, but that became a problem.  She didn't want to wear the helmet.  Time to butt heads.  The thing is, wearing a helmet is a non-negotiable item when your Daddy is a firefighter and your Nani is a nurse.  She was pretty bull-headed, though.  Adamant refusal.  So we walked the bike up and down the sidewalk like a dog. 
 
Isaiah 52:13-15 says, "See, my servant will act wisely; he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.  Just as there were many who were appalled at him — his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness — so will he sprinkle many nations, and kings will shut their mouths because of him.  For what they were not told, they will see, and what they have not heard, they will understand."
 
Father, I could use some of that understanding.  Sprinkle on me anytime.  Amen.

No comments: