Sunday, January 15, 2012

January 15 – “Princess Party”

 
 
I got to wear my Superman costume again.  Yesterday we went to Cailyn's princess party for her third birthday.  I'm not sure who was more excited, Cailyn or her Mom.  Nathan and April put remodeling their kitchen on the fast track so it would look nice for the party.  It looks good, by the way.  Very bright. 
 
The party was not one where there are lots of structured games and a minute by minute itinerary.  Not that prepared games aren't fun.  Who wouldn't go for a quick round of pin the tiara on Cinderella?  Or pin the tail on the Beast from Beauty and the Beast?  This time they just let the kids play and the adults sit around and talk or watch the football game.  It made it not such a chore when they all came to the table for cupcakes and then when she opened her presents.  
 
Oh, and did I mention that there were nine boys in attendance?  Among them were three Batmen, a Spiderman, a GI Joe, and Buzz Lightyear.  Nine boys … and Cailyn.  Not a single other girl.  That's an interesting ratio, don't you think?  Seriously.  Is this a harbinger of things to come in her future with guys?  Watch out Daddy.  Nathan wasn't too happy when I pointed out that possibility to him.  He went into his customary tirade about how he has already arranged for the entire fire and police department to be on the lookout for any boy that might show even vague interest in Cailyn.  Cailyn was oblivious to gender, however.  She ran and played just like one of the guys.  And the guys didn't seem to mind the pink frosting on the cupcakes.  Still tasted like sugar. 
 
She even had two cupcakes.  DadDad got blamed for allowing the second one just because she happened to be sitting next to me at the table.  I was most proud, though, when she insisted on eating her ice cream with a knife.  Now that's my girl. 
 
Isaiah 51:7-8 says, "Hear me, you who know what is right, you people who have my law in your hearts: Do not fear the reproach of men or be terrified by their insults.  For the moth will eat them up like a garment; the worm will devour them like wool.  But my righteousness will last forever, my salvation through all generations."
 
Father, thank you for the little princess in our family.  And thank you for the superhero little boys you gave us as well.  Amen.

No comments: