Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23 – “A pastoral oops”

 
 
Yoikes.  Something happened to me yesterday that is the nightmare of all us pastors who aren't smart enough to memorize everything we want to say in a sermon.  Now, as a bit of background here, it was one of those weeks where God kind of "last-minutes" me.  Saturday night and even into Sunday morning I was still trying to get down just what he was leading me to do. 
 
First, I had to find the right scene from the movie King Arthur to use as a time context-setter for the Biblical Backgrounds class that happens before church.  Then, since we are returning to our study of the book of Esther in worship time after a pause for advent and Christmas, I redid the introductory historical setting powerpoint to include biblical history from the beginning of time.  Not an easy stunt, but it was fun.  I read the history summary as quickly as I could, and the sound guy flipped the powerpoint pictures according to the script I gave him.  The people especially seemed to get a kick out of the picture I chose to represent Abraham.  Every person there recognized Abraham Lincoln. 
 
And then came the worship time.  It was a creative approach to worship using the names of God.  I did the Esther background intro, and even read a few more verses into chapter two.  Then, I had a grab bag with 25 names of God in Hebrew and Greek with their English equivalent, all printed out on strips of paper with the Scripture verse on the back.  I selected five people to each draw out a slip.  I gave a quick summary of the context and read the verses.  After the fifth one the plan was to draw the conclusions, make the applications, and move into the praise and worship portion.  Between each song we would draw more names of God.  The problem was, in all the changes and confusion of preparing everything I forgot to print out the last page of my teaching notes.  The page that had two quotations I planned to read and the transitions into worship as well as the pastoral prayer for the conclusion of the service.  Nothing.  Not there.  Gone.  Crazy feeling.  At that point I did some fast adlibbing, so I hope it went OK.  I know that when the people started adding some of the personal names they had for God, it was awesome.  You would have thought maybe God had something to do with what was going on.
 
Isaiah 53:8-9 says, "By oppression  and judgment he was taken away.  And who can speak of his descendants?  For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken.  He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth."
 
Father, thank you for invading the service yesterday in spite of my miscue.  Amen.

No comments: