Saturday, March 30, 2024

March 30 - “In the bushes”


Yesterday was for sure an outside kind of day. We started it off with our two mile walk. Back home, Chris decided that it was time to go ahead and plant the new azalea bushes we bought a few days ago. 


But that meant we had to take a preliminary step. There were three of the old kind of bushes still in the ground. All three were on the chopping block, so to speak. I got out the shovel. Yes, Chris allowed it to happen. Of course, some of the time she had her back turned. But wait. No. I didn’t get hurt. At least I don’t think so. I managed to use the shovel as a lever and my legs to apply the necessary force with as little as possible strain on my back. They actually came up a lot easier than I expected. 


Planting the new ones was the next challenge. As I still had the shovel in hand (I had been practicing my road worker leaning stances), I stepped up to dig the holes. Fortunately, most of the old roots had left the area with the old bushes. Holes were dug. Bushes dropped in. Water was applied. 


Now, while that extra-curricular activity was being accomplished, I snuck into the shed and got out my loppers. Way back after Hurricane Ike the city gave away some trees. The only requirement was that we had to agree to take care of them. We planted one in our front yard. It died. We planted the other in the neighbors’ yard. No one was living there at the time. Ever since then it has been one of my adventures - sneaking over there and keeping it trimmed. Now the present residents are fine with me doing it. On this particular day … Chris, not so much. She assured me that such actions and bodily movements were not on my surgeon’s approved list. I stopped. Well, actually I was already done with what I planned to do. Positives all around, right? Well … my back may or may not have gotten sore. Sigh. I see the neurosurgeon next Friday. Maybe he’ll just turn me loose …


Hebrews‬ ‭4‬:‭16‬ says, Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.


Father, thank you for Spring. It really is Chris’ favorite time of the year. Amen. 

No comments: