Tuesday, August 9, 2022

August 9 – “I’m a Nut: Colorado Edition 2022”

You have heard the reporter’s version of events over the last few days.  Now I fear I must subject you to the more artistic model of presentation of the same, for is it not the artistic that calls everyone to attention each morning?  Besides ... AnnaGrace enjoyed it.  Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you … “I’m a Nut: Colorado Edition 2022.”

 

I’m an acorn, small and round

Lyin’ on the cold, hard ground

Everyone walks over me

That is why I’m cracked, you see

I’m a nut.  I’m a nut.

I’m a nut, I’m a nut’ I’m a nut

 

Called myself on the telephone

Just to see if I was home

Asked me out for a little date

Picked me up about half past eight

I’m a nut.  I’m a nut.

I’m a nut, I’m a nut’ I’m a nut

 

Took myself to the movie show

Stayed too late and said, “Let’s go”

Grabbed my hand and led me out

Drove me home and gave a shout

I’m a nut.  I’m a nut.

I’m a nut, I’m a nut’ I’m a nut

  

Sunday:

AnnaGrace was first to hear

Still in Waco I sang cheer

Left this temp of a hundred one

Hoping for a sixties run

 

Amarillo’s our first goal

After church we’re on a roll

DQ ice cream was a treat

Nani n DadDad are so sweet

 

Braum’s became our dinner stop

What’s the highlight of that hop?

Luke got his inmost desire

Bag o burgers he’s on fire

 

Monday:

We did have a glitch arise

“Change oil soon” to our surprise

I sought out a Firestone branch

Met them at the Cadillac Ranch

 

Zak, he conquered Mount Tall Car

We took photos from afar

Vandalism? Surely not

AG loved this new craft - lots

 

Final meal on travel beat

Big Bill’s Pizza, have a seat

This guy’s famous friends and all

Cover up one total wall

 

It was late when we arrived

Luke had words for our new hive

As the car door opened wide

“Dad, it’s freezing here” he cried

 

Upstairs, downstairs beds abound

Bed under a bed we found

Caleb worked especially hard

Hauling stuff in from the cars

 

Finally, all were settled down

To their sleep without a sound

Soon it’s to the park we’ll go

What strange critters will it show?

  

Tuesday:

When we woke up, what a view

Deck surrounds this house, who knew

Mountains, trees abound to see

God sure did good, didn’t he?

 

Luke was up to start the day

“It is freezing,” he did say

Luke was first at critter finds

Baby deer ran by behind

 

That young critter he returned

For that good grass he did yearn

When our guys went out to play

Deer jumped, Caleb ran away

 

Critters were our hope to see

More than just a random bee

So we gathered up our crew

Headed for the park to view

 

Waited in the entry line

Got inside just after nine

Headed straight for the Bear Lake

Time for hikes for us to take

 

First one ‘round the lake we go

But the boys they added more

Zak was highest, Caleb then

Luke was not far behind them

 

Here the critters came to see

These strange animals like we!

Chipmunks were the bravest sort

AG squealed with glee a lot

 

Second hike a challenge was

Climbed up higher for because

At the top was our reward

Waterfall was beauty’s card

 

There the hikes came to an end

Rain and cold we must contend

Got some stamps for Nani’s book

Saw a movie worth the look

 

Dinner recommended site

Dodged some gas pumps, went inside

In that random gas station

Good burgers and food within

 

Auto-wrestle-mania

Pitted all the Vaughan boys – uh

Luke escaped to front seat land

Caleb had Zak well in hand

 

Back at home and time for bed

“First a shower,” Mommy said

Then a treat some s’mores we ate

And saw double rainbows - great!

 

DadDad won Exploding Cats

Won again, so tip your hats

Planning meeting ends the day

Drives and hikes and town to play

  

Wednesday:

Trail Ridge Road was day’s appeal

Views up there are the real deal

Photo ops abounded true

Caleb’s fashion shoot – who knew?

 

Ag’s quote the day sure stole

“Bathrooms here are toilet holes.

One thing missing, just not there

Flushers gone, I don’t know where”

 

Casualty caught up with us

On a trail that’s paved – no fuss

DadDad tripped and down he fell

Helped back up, he said, “All’s well”

 

Here’s a new word for this yarn

Mountain lake is called a tarn

Continental Divide lake

Zak’s whole leg did almost take

 

Afternoon nap sure felt nice

Missed the Astros win all right

Then into the town we went

To Fun City we’d been sent

 

Bungee jumps got all the boys

Then the go carts made some noise

Zak and Caleb fought it out

DadDad came in last, don’t pout

 

Mexican for dinner food

Walked through town, enjoyed the mood

AG found her dear chipmunk

Ice cream in our bellies sunk

 

Thursday:

What a thing to make you glad

Morning song by old DadDad

He woke all with “I’m a Nut”

AnnaGrace said “Please, just cut!”

 

Headed back into the park

Got more hikes that we have marked

Josh said, “What? No entry line?

Works for me, hey, this is fine”

 

Saw some deer right off the bat

Eh, just deer? Now that’s old hat

Waterfall climb made us sing

Luke even did bouldering

 

Cross the street to a stream then

AnnaGrace is going in!

There we saw some fishermen

Now it’s Luke who’s going in! 

 

Saw some turkeys of all size

Josh saw dinner in his eyes

AG friended butterflies

Frolicked singing laughing “hi’s!”

 

Caleb yelped with critter newy

It’s a chipmunk, he’s named Chewy

“Did you bite him?” Christi feared

“Who’re you talking to?” We jeered

 

I can say I’m finally “in”

AG reached and took my hand

Mountain Coaster me and she

Flew on that thing screaming, whee!

 

Back for pizza challenge slice

3-foot round one was the price

Kids all gave it their best shot

One piece left they finished not

 

After that much food we ate

Took a walk just like a date

Drove out to YMCA

Where Josh basketball did play.

  

Friday:

Two does joined our Bambi fawn

Munching out upon our lawn

Gas station to donuts down

Then to used bookstore in town

 

Two more hikes around some lakes.

Boys shed shoes and caused some wakes

Shorts hiked up like diapers high

And some fish were swimming by

 

Rain and lightning flash flood watch

Back to cabin pack and such

Time to eat - Shamrock again

And Fun City, who will win?

 

One last stop for park sign pic

My, aren’t we so nostalgic

Zak won rat killer, he’s bad

AG’s cats exploded Dad!

 

Saturday:

Something strange occurred this day

Right on time we got away

Christi’s schedule can’t be beat

She’s sure tough for one so sweet

 

First stop this time kinda hard

Had to park way in the yard

One mile hike – Garden of Gods

Crowds abound, what are the odds?

 

Chose the driving tour this time

All the sights were really fine

But the people - get us free!

On that thought we all agreed

 

Chick-fil-A provided lunch

For our hungry travel bunch

In Raton New Mexico

To the potty we did go

 

Grabbed some gas and took off then

To Volcano Capulin

Long drops Christi didn’t like

Into crater we did hike

 

We left quickly once we found

Lightning angry clouds abound

Into Texas – Dalhart town

XIT for dinner down

 

Amarillo’s in our sights

Switched up drivers for the nights

Pulled in late and straight to bed

“No complaints” is what I said.

  

Sunday:

But my thoughts were oh, so wrong

Morning brought a different song

Bathrooms dirty, scraped my back

Bedbugs visit for Josh - yack!

 

Scratch that hotel off the list

It is one we will not miss

On to church at FBC

God-church worship, friends did see

 

That church had a huge bird cage

Pretty birds were all the rage

Luke said Seaside needs one too

Caleb said no seagulls do

 

Lunch in Childress Waco bound

Nani’s car got turned around

She and Siri got them back

Pretty soon we’re back on track

 

Now we’re home in Waco town

All the luggage emptied down

Now it’s time to look ahead

To next trip? No! Time for bed!


 


No comments: