Friday, August 19, 2022

August 19 - “Strawberry shortcake”

Well, that was a strange one. I slept in until almost 7 a.m. Can’t remember the last time I did that. Oh, I stirred at around 4:30 and again at 5:40 or so, but both times I was able to doze back off. No particular nagging back or hip or knee pains to force me awake. That’s also been a while. Of course they showed up later in the day. Especially after we started doing yard work in anticipation of the “cold front” expected to crash into the area, leaving temperatures in the low 90’s and bringing pretty good chances for rain.

 

After voting against walking AND doing yard work, I started in on the mowing and edging. Chris began with some flower bed weeding, but as soon as she realized the weed eater had stopped, she was right there by my side, ostensibly to offer me some water. And I was certainly grateful. I think there was a bit of an ulterior motive, though. See, she prefers to sweep up the grass clippings that land on the sidewalk. I’m all for using the leaf blower and picking up one final pile. We have figured out a compromise. I get to blow grass from the farthest reaches of the sidewalk over toward the driveway, where she waits patiently to sweep and dispose. Ah … teamwork.

 

After lunch we settled in to watch the Astros game. They started out really strong. The score was 10-0 in the fifth inning. The Bad Guys started scoring, though. No need to worry. Final score? Astros 21, Bad Guys 5.

 

Last night after home group we were surprised with a birthday party. Strawberry shortcake and ice cream led the parade. Brennan also gave us some rum cake (haven’t tried that yet).  Great group of people.

 

Proverbs 22:4 says, Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are riches and honor and life.

 

Father, thank you for those folks in our home group. We sure do love them. Please bless them. Amen.

No comments: