Sunday, February 28, 2021

February 28 – “Public safety excitement”

We walked two miles yesterday.  Now, that is not the royal “we” referring to just myself.  That would be Chris joining me in a longer trek than she has been pulling since the heart attack.  She made it just fine.  She was a little extra spent than usual at bedtime last night, but I’m hoping it just helped her sleep better.  She is definitely challenging herself.

 

We made quite the discovery on the walk.  Led to some excitement around here, too.  As we rounded the corner, we saw a discarded WalMart bag.  Not that unusual a sight.  Litterbugs abound, you know.  As we approached and passed it, however, I noticed that inside it was a second bag, this one from the Dollar Store.  Also not unusual, I guess.  It was just the two inside one another that caused me to take a second glance.  As I peered downward, wondering what treasures might lay within, I caught a glimpse of the contents.  And that gave me pause.  It appeared to be a wallet.  Now intrigued, I returned to the bag for a closer look.  Sure enough, there inside was a very nice-looking wallet.  I picked it up to check for identification, and to my surprise, there was a driver’s license.  Nothing else inside, but it was clearly a driver’s license.  My first thought was that someone must have unwittingly dropped the bag as they walked home from the store.  We could simply mail the wallet back.  Good Samaritans and all.  But then, something else caught my eye.  There, loose in the bag, was a credit card.  No, two.  And as I moved it around a bit, I saw another wallet.  I checked it as well, and there was an ID in it as well.  From a different person.  More credit cards, too.  That changed our thinking.  Instead of just mailing this back, we had better call the police and ask for their advice.  This could be evidence from a robbery or something.  So we reversed our steps and put the find in the house before completing our walk. 

 

After our two miles, I called the police non-emergency line.  Actually, in case you are ever looking for that number in particular, just call the main number listed on the website.  The lady who answered was very nice and quite helpful.  She said she would send an officer right over to pick it up.  He was here within thirty minutes or so.  He took notes on his little pad, including our name and exactly where we found the items.  He thought they were probably from a burglary and assured us that he would check out their list to see if he could find the names of the victims to clear out the case before returning the items to their respective owners.  And I think he followed through on that immediately.  He stayed parked in front of the house across the street for a long time, working on his computer.  Thank you to our guys and gals in blue for the work you do. 

 

James 1:22 says, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.”

 

Father, please keep that officer and his compadres safe as the carry out their tasks.  Amen.

No comments: